Allright whats a good song to learn

hockey_musician

• Members

Allright, now whats a good song

so whats a song to learn. Pretty dumb question to post eh? but im serious. Ive been playing for a little while now and i know a few "rinky-dink" songs, and some intros, but i want to learn a good acoustic guitar song. Like what can you guys suggest? Maybe a few chords, and some finger-picking involed, but nothing too difficult. As for genre, something along the lines of eagles, or maybe clapton. Any suggestions are apprecitated.!

And a link to the lesson would help, but is not neccisary

• Members

Give The Beatles' Blackbird a try: it's not too difficult to master but difficult enough to give you a good challenge. Plus it's a well known song and satisfying to play for folk.

There's a great lesson here:

Blackbird Lesson

This lesson has a four-fret stretch which I found really useful to learn as it gets the fingers more supple and will help your playing in the future. It isn't actually how McCartney plays it - he doesn't do the stretch and chooses an easier way, but I shan't divulge it as the stretch is a more useful exercise IMO.

In fact, have a search around the whole guitarnoise.com site - there's a lot of good stuff on there!!

Cams

• Members

Gimme three steps is a good song to learn that has some good string bending that's not too hard and the chords are easy. Peaceful easy feeling is an easy Eagles song (D- G A pretty much). Teqilla Sunrise has some nice double string lead, easy chords but the rythm can give you a challenge. Just a few suggestions- Good luck.

• Members

Go check out HC's tablature files. Just find an artist you like and go from there. A lot ( if not most ) of the songs have just the lyrics and chords listed. It doesn't get much easier than that. Between there and the OLGA, there's a heck of a lot of music to learn.

Good luck

• Members

I'll second Tears in Heaven - it's one of my all-time favorites, but the chord changes can be a little tricky if you're just starting out..

It all depends on your age and personal preferences, really - here are some songs that I found to be pretty easy to pick up:

Patience by Guns n' Roses

Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Clapton gave it a nice groove

Wonderful Tonight by Clapton

All Along the Watchtower - Dylan's acoustic version of course

Angie by the Rolling Stones

Ripple by the Grateful Dead

Willin' by Little Feat (1972)

Sister Golden Hair by America

Sweet Home Alabama by Lynnrd Skynnrd

Life by the Drop by SRV

Baby I Love Your Way (Everyday) by Peter Frampton

Wild World by Cat Stevens

Hotel California by the Eagles

Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin

Thank You by Led Zeppelin

One by U2

and of course....

FREEEEBIIIIRRRD! :D

• Members

h_m,

most tab sites will only give you the chords used at a particular point in the song. i wish they would give strumming instructions as well. some say "brightly or moderatley" and then give you beats per minute. i say what the hell?? the best way to learn strum patterns to a song, imho, is to play along with the cd. play the song so you can here the chords being played but not so loud that you cannot hear yourself. read along with tablature so you know when the chord changes are. strum up and down in constant motion and you will be able to hear when you are in syn and just importantly when you are not in sync. soon enough you will be able to pick out a strum pattern that sounds good for you. that is the best thing about guitar playing. it doesn't have to be played exactly like the cd. add your own strum pattern, fill ins, and licks and make the song a part of your style. btw, i am a h_m myself!

katz

• Members

Another good way to improve your strumming is:

try stumming an "air guitar" as you listen to the radio going down the road. If you drive, playing against the steering wheel works until your hands get sore. "strumming against your leg works well. Try to stay in beat and rythm. One of the biggest weaknesses many technically great guitar players have is they don't hold good time and this is a good way to practice. Good luck.

Archived