Question: What is always the first song you play when you pick up your guitar?

roguejde

• Members

1. What is the first song(s) you always seem to play when you pick up your guitar?

2. What cover songs are you currently working on mastering?

3. What one song do you play when someone asks you to play for them cause "they heard you were (getting) good"?

(If any of this applies to you...)

mine are: (and i only play acoustic)

1. 'Blackbird' - Beatles

2. Intro to 'Crazy On You' - by Heart

About 5 Nick Drake songs (those in CGCFCE)

'The bed' - Lou Reed

'Little Wing' acoustically - Hendrix

3. Probably Metallica's 'One'

• Members

Originally posted by roguejde

1. What is the first song(s) you always seem to play when you pick up your guitar?

Standard tuning: usually the Train Stop Blues (an exercise by Pete Madsen) or more recently Candy Man a la LB's lesson.

CGDGAD: My Mary of the Curling Hair (El McMeen's arrangement).

Dropped D: Ye Banks & Braes (Tony McManus's arrangement).

Candy Man: MJH

Hurt: Nine Inch Nails/Johnny Cash

and I would dearly like to play some Nick Drake.

3. What one song do you play when someone asks you to play for them cause "they heard you were (getting) good"?

If by "song" you mean the singing kind then Blackbird is an old favourite, followed closely by Hurt and Springsteen's Highway 29. I would love to be able to do some MJH but at the moment there's no way I can do that thumb thing, pick a melody AND sing. Not yet anyhow.

• Members

1. Blues in E, or some tune in C.

2. A couple:

The claw - Jerry Reed

Down Home - Jerry Reed

Basically any song written by Jerry Reed, he's my guitar hero.

These are going to take a while though I'm afraid.

3. I'm waiting for people to start saying that, have to practice a bit more though. But if they'd ask I'd probably play "Don't think twice its alright" or "I'm so lonesome I could cry".

• Members

1. "Copperline" James Taylor

2. "I Want to Play That Rock and Roll" Gillian Welch/Dave Rawlings

3. "The Road Not Taken" Bruce Hornsby

Brent

• Members

The first couple of songs I play are usually Dirt Road Blues courtesy of LB's DVD, and Sally Ruby by Kelly Joe Phelps.

Currently I'm working on some Martin Simpson tunes. It's particularly slow going because Martin has really long fingers (his pinky looks as long as my middle finger, he can reach across the fingerboard and play the low E with it) so I having to adjust as I go.

I don't play well enough for anyone to think I'm getting good but when the opportunity arises I'll usually play that same songs above plus a couple others. Eric Clapton's "Hey Hey" is a good one because you use more of the fretboard, makes you look busy making music. It is nice when people tell me that they can tell I"m getting better. It's inspiring.

• Members

1. Almost always a Johnny Cash song, and I'm always singing the vocal line over it. Mostly it's just I-IV-V (and the occasional II) stuff, with a thumb picked root-five pattern and the index finger used to strum the rest of the chord.

2. None at the moment. I need to practice more.

3. Hmm... just some generic blues riffs. No songs in particular

• Members

"Crash Into Me" by Dave Matthews

"Pride and Joy" (acoustically) by Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton

"Lie In Our Graves" by Dave Matthews

"Why Georgia" by John Mayer

"Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" by J.S. Bach

"Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton. I save it for intimate settings where I finger-pick the musical parts and sing to the best of my ability.

• Members

(If any of this applies to you...)

1. fingerpicked blues in E , Nick Drake's 'been smoking too long"

2. Tears in Heaven (pretty much got it), Layla (those solo's are killer.), You can see I'm on a Clapton Unplugged kick!

3. I play one I wrote called Intoxication, I think it's the most representative of everything I can do (fingerpick, strum, cool chords, sing)

Hey Rogue! Which 5 Nick Drake songs??

• Members

Depends on which guitar I pick up...but its almost always one of my band's songs...especially if I pick up my acoustic which is currently in open D since I dont know anything else in open D

Um...well, Im really tied up with my band's music and have forgoten most of those songs that I used to know and play for fun...but!...Ive been playing "At your Funeral" by Saves the Day if I pick up the Strat or "Black Dog" If I pick up the Les Paul

No one really asks me this anymore...I guess since I no longer live in the dorms I dont really see alot of people and have my guitar handy at the same time. And all the people that know me are either A: in my band, B: play guitar better than me, or C: wouldnt know if I were good or not. Im at the level were I can play anything and someone who doesnt play guitar will think Im pretty good yet I still leave guitar stores with my tail between my legs if I play since there are usually so many really good players there. That being said, and keeping in mind I said I forgot all of the cover songs I used to know...I would end up playing one of my band's songs.

Man....this band thing is cramping my style:cool:

• Members

Confuseitall asks Which Nick Drake songs I'm working on..

The Nick Drake songs I can play:

Pink Moon, Nothern Sky, Place to Be, Riverman, Which Will, Things Behind the Sun, Parasite, Road, Black Eyed Dog

All these are the Nick Drake songs that are either in Standard tuning or CGCFCE. I haven't started messing with his other alternate tunings songs. I plan to though. As far as the songs I listed above, I try to play them exactly how he did...I accomplish this by opening his songs in a wave editor (cool edit) and first isolating the guitar sound, then i slow the whole thing down 20-40% depending on complication. The trick to playing Drake is all in the right hand (specifically the thumb) as his chords and chord patterns are suprisingly simple.

• Members

Originally posted by AdamOn6thStreet

someone who doesnt play guitar will think Im pretty good yet I still leave guitar stores with my tail between my legs if I play since there are usually so many really good players there.

I gotta move to Austin. I think a guy must be able to learn a lot just hanging around some of the music stores there.

Out here in what is officially known as "The Sticks", music store jamming is a pretty rare commodity.

Brent

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

"Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton. I save it for intimate settings where I finger-pick the musical parts and sing to the best of my ability.

I've been asked to play that one quite a bit myself, but more often than not I tend to ask them if they want to hear something else. That song is intensely personal to me and it's very hard for me to play it without getting emotional.

• Members

I don't play a song until a few other things have been done. First is a few basic chords to see if I like the tone of the guitar, then do the E barre chord up and down the neck to see if it is intonated fairly well, then a few scales, then bizzare chords to hear overtones.

When I finally get to a song it is usually just whatever comes to mind first.

Currently trying to learn all of the Greendale album by Neil Young.

I don't really ahve a "I'm good at this" song. The more I think about it, the less I really know about the instrument at hand.

• Members

Confuseitall
asks Which Nick Drake songs I'm working on..

Pink Moon, Nothern Sky, Place to Be, Riverman, Which Will, Things Behind the Sun, Parasite, Road, Black Eyed Dog

All these are the Nick Drake songs that are either in Standard tuning or CGCFCE. I haven't started messing with his other alternate tunings songs. I plan to though. As far as the songs I listed above, I try to play them exactly how he did...I accomplish this by opening his songs in a wave editor (cool edit) and first isolating the guitar sound, then i slow the whole thing down 20-40% depending on complication. The trick to playing Drake is all in the right hand (specifically the thumb) as his chords and chord patterns are suprisingly simple.

Pink Moon was the first Nick song I learned. It's such a great tune, and fun to play.

• Members

1. "Something" by the Beatles

2. "Space Oddity" by David Bowie

"Mayor of Simpleton" by XTC

... a few RGD songs (I've started to fingerpick using the thumb and forefinger only and my technique is improving!)

3. "What Goes On" by the Velvet Underground

• Members

usually the Moonlight Sonata, good for warming up

if someone hears i'm getting good i play this traditional classical one called Two Guitars which is ironically enough 1 guitar playing semi counterpoint. not too technical but still a good moving tune nonetheless

• Members

1. "she talks to angels" by the black crowes

"over the hills and far away" by zeppelin

2. "no such thing" by john mayer

"santa monca" by everclear

"mr. jone's" by counting crowes

"hard luck woman" kiss

3. "wheat kings" by the tragically hip

• Members

When i pick up my guitar, i usually just jam out a few improvised riffs, usually playing a c#maj scale using the A string as the root. i have no idea what this scale/mode/whatever is called, i just really like it.

then i will probably find myself playing 'rider on the wheel' or 'clothes of sand' by nick drake as they're the ones i've most recently learnt. or his cover of 'if you leave me pretty momma' because i just love this song.

as for covers i'm working on, i'm not really working on any at the moment. i have worked out pretty much every nick drake song, with the exception of '3 hours' which i am yet to master. i'd love to be able to play this song but it's just so damn hard! there are a couple of things on 'tamworth in arden' which i haven't worked out yet as well.

but at the moment i am trying to concentrate on writing and improvised jamming with other people because i have been in crappy rock cover bands for many years and it got boring.

• Members

Confuseitall
asks Which Nick Drake songs I'm working on..

oooh i missed this when i was scanning through! it's always good to hear about people who are into nick drake :)

how do you play black eyed dog? I can play it but different people work it out in different ways, i'd be interested to hear how you do it.

if you can play that, leave the guitar in G tuning and you'll be able to pick up "rider on the wheel" very easily. the intro is the only slightly hectic bit, the main bit is really easy, just barre the 5th fret and you'll see how the rest fits in.

also, you say you play "road" but you also say you haven't investigated tunings other than the C tuning. does that mean you play it in C? I tune it like this: DGDDAD with the two middle strings tuned to the same D, and a capo at the 3rd or 4th. i don't know if that's right or not, just what i worked out from listening to the record. (and unfortunately no fancy wave editors for me, just the good old pause/rewind buttons!)

Archived