Does anyone have a remedy for escessive string noise?

kwakatak

• Members

I'm partially attributing this to my playing style, but I think that low humdity and dry skin may also be to blam. Oh, and let's not forget the strings too! I just put on a set of Martin Bronze Lights last week after taking off a set of flaking Elixir Polyweb lights. They should have calmed down some by now, but they still make this metallic screech when I do hammerons and pulloffs. :mad:

• Members

I did the same thing , martin marquis and had the same result. It's been a few weeks now and they seem to have died down or maybe I'm just getting used to non coated strings again. I will be going back to elixr's though. I think that after getting used to the lack of squeak maybe the normal strings just seem to be more squeaky than you remember. Could vaseline your fingertips ? lol

• Members

Lol... that sounds exactly like me. I just put on a set of Martin 80/20 bronze SP strings and it gives my Martin an icky Taylor sound....lol. I just took off a set of month old elixers and put these on. I think i'm having more rattling now and fret buzz. It's only occuring on my bass E string, I think at the first fret. I tested the neck and everything and gently applied pressure and noticed that if I add pressure outwards on the neck, it would go away after a certain amount is applied. It's really getting irritating and it's hard to control the humidity... I can't seem to get it to stay in the right spot anymore it's either to humid or too dry and it's putting the guitars in pain. My guitars keep going out of tune from it too.

• Members

The only way to eliminate squeak is correct technique which I have a hard time doing so I just put up with the squeak. Round wound strings are going to do that. That is why I wish they would make flat ground acoustic strings in my favorite brand.

• Members

Originally posted by madog99

I did the same thing , martin marquis and had the same result. It's been a few weeks now and they seem to have died down or maybe I'm just getting used to non coated strings again. I will be going back to elixr's though. I think that after getting used to the lack of squeak maybe the normal strings just seem to be more squeaky than you remember. Could vaseline your fingertips ? lol

LOL!

:o Been there n' done that! You found me out madog - Vaseline Intensive Care Advanced Healing followed up by Purell hand sanitizer! I also finally invested in a room humidifier and my wife thinks I've lost my mind!

BTW, Evilhippy, those are the same strings I have on my Tinny Tak right now - Martin 80/20 Bronze. They were 6 bucks and I got what I paid for. I'll be more than happy to shell two and a half times that amount for a set of Elixirs again because Martins don't seem to do it for me. That tinny sound is driving me bonkers! If I'm not extra careful any one of the wound strings can make this screech that sounds like fingernails across a chalkboard!

Archived