My search for a new acoustic guitar

u6crash

• Members

I've been searching high and low for a new acoustic guitar with little results. The biggest problem is that I live in the middle of nowhere. The nearest stop light is a good seven miles away if that tells you anything.

Read this if you want or skip right to the bottom:

Anyway, I've had my Yamaha APX-SPLI for about five years now. I bought it used then, so who knows how old it really is. It's got a plastic coated back, and the back is starting to crack, as shown here. I've got cracks like this all along the back and sides, as if the back were just trying to seperate itself. Also, the bracing on the top of the guitar is visible through the finish, as if the top is sinking, as shown here. But now I feel I should stop putting lots of money into repairs on this guitar, leaving it to be my "beater" and I'll make repairs by myself or as they become absolutely necessary.

I suppose I can spend up to $1000 on a new guitar, but I don't think that just because I can spend that much, that I have to spend that much.

So for the last few weeks I've been reading HC reviews and pouring over threads in this forum trying to come to some sort of decision, and I'm still not even close. What I want is a 22 fret right handed cutaway with fairly low action. I'm used to the smaller body of my Yamaha, but could adjust to a dreadnought if I had to. For a time I was really interested in the Carvin Cobalt series, but between the extremely good reviews and the extremely bad reviews (neither of which I put much stock into) I'm not sure if I want to risk spending money on return shipping in the event that I don't like it. And it seems that when I do have time to drive two hours to a guitar store, their selection of acoustic instruments is quite lacking.

Anyway, I guess what I'd like is for someone to point me in the direction of a particular model or line of guitar, or better yet, if there is anyone here in northern Illinois with a surplus of used (or new) acoustics for sale, please let me know. Thank you very much. My apologies for being so long winded.

• Members

No apologies. I'm in a similar situation, though I may be putting my purchase off by a couple months. Anyway, I have been putting serious consideration into Breedlove's new atlas series. I played 3 guitars from the series (the three most expensive dreads) and was truly blown away. It's no surprise, but these guitars have been selling out all over the country. If you can get your hands on one, take advantage. They come highly recommended.

- Kirk

• Members

Well Crash, living in Chicago myself, there's no shortage of guitar shops etc. to test drive stuff, but you don't really have that luxury. There will also be no shortage of opinions you will receive on this forum as to best guitar under $1,000.

The purists here will tell you that a cutaway will hinder the guitar's sound and electronics built in (the ol' barn door) will also hurt your tomne, so they recoomend geting a regular acoustic and adding a pickup (K&K Western etc.) Those that play out a bit might differ.

Some love Larrivee's, others Cobalts, and even others think Martin is the only way to go....or Taylors etc. Tacoma's are highly raed in that price range and right now the BreedLove Atlas series is the flavor of the day. So you are in a bit of a pickle if you can't actually play some of these to feel what is right for you.

What type of music do you play and how will you be using the guitar (playing out? Through an amp ror PA?, In your living room?)

I purchased a Martin 000C-16RGTE off of eBay last year for $950 which I play live through a Baggs PADI into my PA and love it. For the campfire scene, my MartinD1R is great because it's laminate back and sides are durable and the solid top dread booms. Martin's are classics, sound full and will not lose much value if you take care of it. People here love the 15 (bluesey all mahogony) or 16 series in that price range. On average though, Martins hav a little higher action than some others.

Taylors have great action, but are bit more "trebley" - some people love the sound.

Larrivees are very nice guitars for the money as I understand it though I've never played one, and Tacomas get great reviews here too.

So..I'm not helping you much. I would probably say if your are used to a smaller body size, an auditorium (or even Grand Auditorium) size is probably right for you. I would think buying something used would get you more bang for your buck, and don't be limited to just A/E models, you can add a nice pickup later.

Good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by Singin' Dave

What type of music do you play and how will you be using the guitar (playing out? Through an amp ror PA?, In your living room?)

I suppose my style could be be decribed as acoustic folk rock? I don't know. I'm a big fan of simple three chord fans. Usually I'm either all the way unplugged, or using a PA at an open mic. I'll be doing some performance art outdoors with this as well.

I'm not opposed at all to strickly acoustic guitars (no pups built in). I have a Dean Markley soundhole pickup (I'm sure it's not the greatest) or microphones to use for amplifying it. However, I am really looking for a cutaway.

Singin' Dave, could you recommend some shops for me to check out in the Chicago area? I went to Guitar Center in Arlington Heights last weekend and I was really disappointed with their selection of acoustics.

I'm sort of inclined to stay on the cheaper side of things for now even though I can spend towards $1000 (or more maybe). Whatever I get will be my primary guitar, but not forever, just for the next two or three years. After I'm out of school (and find a job I can be in comfortably) I'll plan on spending some serious money having a local luthier build one to my specs.

Thank you all so much for your help.

• Members

ah guitar shopping , lucky you ! For a cheap solution check out Norman/Art+Luthier guitars , well built and I would think well under $500 . Or you can hear Orsino's Larrivee 03 on this site , somewhere below , he has a video clip posted and I think it says he paid like $500 us for it . Slap in your Markley or go to a better one and your ready to roll . Trick is finding something you like I guess. One thing I found , always take a buddy who plays for a sanity check . I can be swayed by good looks (women+guitars) but it's the heart and sould that counts .lol

• Members

I played a couple Guild's today that I liked pretty well, no cutaways though. I guess I'm trying to be flexible on that part, even though I think I'd much prefer a cutaway. The action was a little high, but looked like it could be lowered easily enough at the saddle. Also they were a little too close to my $1000 price point, but I think I could maybe talk them down to $900. I'll keep looking though.

• Members

I was on a bit of a crazy Canadian acoustic guitar search for the longest time.. and I found a couple that I ended up liking a lot. However, I sold the guitar that I liked the most and purchased a piece of crap Chinese made guitar to take on the road. It sounded so bad though, that I had to get myself a 710ce Taylor to offset the noise that the Chinese guitar made.

Anyway, I would recommend a Simon and Patrick or a Seagull. These two makers (actually, they're owned by the same umbrella company) make incredibly well made guitars for a great price. I've bought the Simon and Patrick Pro Rosewood for myself, and that had great resonance and tone. Costed me $500. I also bought a S&P Pro Mahogany for my friend for about $450 at the same time. His sounded pretty decent. A lower end that I played was a cedar model, and for $200, that really sounded bright and clear.

Seagull's on the whole are better known than S&P's, but S&P's sound better.

• Members

Gotta chime in and say that cost of shipping back in the event that you decide on something else instead is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of your investment. From what you are describing, it will cost you that much in gas to go to more than one shop to be sure anyway, so why not order the Cobalt that has the features you want and take it on that one trip you MAY want to take to a shop to compare or better yet, save the gas money if you indeed find it delightful... Just my $.02 worth. Boggs

• Members

I've got another quick question about the Carvin Cobalts if someone can tell me...

Regarding the size of the Dreadnoughts and Jumbo Auditorium models. They look about the same over all volume, but I wonder if one has a smaller waist or less depth in the body than the other? I have to say, I am tempted to order one and try it out. Deciding what I want to try (mahagony or rosewood back....satin or gloss finish) is going to be another chore.

Archived