The frustration of home recording...

kwakatak

• Members

What do you guys do to get yourself motivated to sit down and record? Do you listen to music beforehand to get that foot tapping first or are you guys always as good as your clips sound? :)

I'm finding that I have to listen to music to get motivated. Once the blood is pumping to my fingers then I still have to take several runs through the song to get them working right. Once I'm firing on all cylinders then click on the microhpone and I'm back where I started! :mad:

After a few tries the nerves calm down and I can get something PARTIALLY decent down on disk. I still have trouble maintaining a good tempo though - I just can't hear the metronome over my guitar. Before I realize it, several hours have gone by. Does anyone else get this frustrated? :rolleyes:

• Members

Yep, sounds familiar to me too. One thing that works for me is to not worry about making mistakes. I have always felt like my life depended on making every take perfect. The irony is that when I focus on the feeling and LISTEN to what I'm playing, I make FEWER mistakes.

You might try recording with the mindset that every take is just a warmup. You may find that while the pressure is off, BANG, you've got a good take.

• Members

One other frustrating thing for me is that I'm having a good take and hit a flub that just thows my rhythm completely off. I just grimace and move on but I'd just love to be be able to overdub it! I'm not quite to that point yet - so the track usually gets dumped and I try again only to flub something else that was perfect the last time! This is what you get when you're just used to sitting at home and playing for your own enjoyment for so long, I guess, but I'm having a real good time and have to laugh at it anyway!

• Members

Man, does this ever sound familiar to me!

I can play a song perfectly ten times in a row, get in front of the mic and blow it in the first bar. :(

I guess it's like everything else, the more you do it, the better you get at it. I just started recording myself and have a long way to go............

Scott

• Members

Originally posted by orsino

El McMeen says it's helpful to repeat passages when you flub. That way it is easier to edit by deleting the flubbed passage.

Thats interesting. I never thought of that. Of course now I'll have to figure out how to delete and edit. :)

I've been recording straight through until the end. If (when) I mess up, I just start over.

Do most of you edit your recordings or just play them through until you get it right?

Scott

• Members

Do most of you edit your recordings or just play them through until you get it right?

I've been trying to play all the way through to maintain consistency, but I see the merit in El McMeen's approach. I can easily alter my recordings in Audacity, it's just that when I blow a passage you can practically hear me stop and groan in disgust! Still, that's not a bad idea to try!

Neil

• Members

I like to "practise to tape" (these days computer) on occasion. Even if I'm just learning the tune and still working out kinks... I'll just set up and do a whole bunch of takes. If I mess up right at the start maybe I'll stop and start over, or just try to get through it. Great way to really learn a song.

And hey, don't complain too much... imagine having to go into the big studio to do any recording at all!

• Members

Originally posted by TaylorFishin'

Man, does this ever sound familiar to me!

I can play a song perfectly ten times in a row, get in front of the mic and blow it in the first bar.
:(

I guess it's like everything else, the more you do it, the better you get at it. I just started recording myself and have a long way to go............

Scott

+1!

Holy shit, i cant remember the frustration of screwing up with one measure left ot finish, but having no way to cut it out :p

But. the great advantage is that once you record it, you won't forget it ever.

• Members

I find beer helps .but it's a fine line. I'm a "lite" beer man now . I'm still using tape so can do enless takes but I suffer from the "good enough " syndrome where I just ignore my mistakes.Over the christmas holidays a buddy of mine had a song he wrote that he wanted to do for his wife (he bought a J-100 week before Christmas). Spent about 14 hours using 6 tracks but he wanted perfection , but you get to a point "make it stop , please !!!! "

• Members

Originally posted by madog99

I find beer helps .but it's a fine line. I'm a "lite" beer man now . I'm still using tape so can do enless takes but I suffer from the "good enough " syndrome where I just ignore my mistakes.Over the christmas holidays a buddy of mine had a song he wrote that he wanted to do for his wife (he bought a J-100 week before Christmas). Spent about 14 hours using 6 tracks but he wanted perfection , but you get to a point "make it stop , please !!!! "

hehe! - I'm the exact opposite! I find that I can't touch the stuff without having that 'disconnected' feeling. Caffeine is definitely something that I can't touch either, so I stick with water and get energized by listening to some music between takes.

So far I haven't done multiple tracks - even on my vocal work; I play and sing at the same time on the same track and to me it just sounds better because I'm more connected to the music.

Now, as for my singing... :rolleyes:

If only those dogs next door would shut up! :mad:

• Members

What I do is just turn the recorder on and sing/play to a click track (usually one of my drum machines or my sequencer)...if I flub up (and I certainly do), I just do it over again...sometimes I'll record the same 3 or 4 songs over several days, and I then put the tapes away for a week or so, then listen to them "freshly"...makes a difference in one's perspective!...one that I recall as being flawed sometimes sounds pretty decent "fresh" and equally often, one that I recall as being a "keeper" won't sound as good!

Then once I've got the vocal/accompaniment guitar/rack harp tracks done, I (or someone else) can over-dub whatever else I want on that song.

And then, sometimes I prefer to record the entire tune "live" with everyone playing at he same time, although I may, in some cases, add other parts to the "live" recordings later.

To me, that's the REAL beauty of home recording - having the luxury of "getting it right" w/o worrying about studio costs.

• Members

When I'm laying down that first track, I don't get in and out of my studio in less than two hours. Granted, things would go quicker if I didn't have to be my own engineer. I also cut off all HVAC, so it gets uncomfortably warm or cold, depending on the season. I'll practice with a metroname until I feel I'm warmed up and have the timing right. Then mic things up and position, and practice a little more. When I finally start, several takes later I'll have something down. Then I get up close with the phones and listen hard. When I find something I don't like, I punch it, for however many takes that may take. By the time I'm finished, I'm pretty worn out. So yeah, knowing what a typical home session is like, it does take some motivation to get in there and begin. By the time I'm through recording and into the mixing process, it all seems well worth it!

Rick

• Members

Well I spend more time struggling with my equipment, computer, software etc, trying to get a clean sounding recording than actually working on my perfomances ;-) But when it comes to the performances...yeah, it often takes many takes to get them sounding good....I definitely use a metronome on every recording however....

• Members

One helpful tactic is to record the click track as you lay down your scratch rythm track That way, you get the countdown into the intro solid and can check to keep it solid throughout the piece during playback. Also, as you advance and want to add instruments to it the click will be a great help.

• Members

One thing I'll say is don't give up on a take too soon - you never know what gem will serendipitously occur later on. The great thing about acoustics is that I find that thir 'weaknesses' can be turned into strengths. All the creaks, groans, and buzzes - hey can all add up to some nice additional atmosphere. I'm sure you all have CD's with such "mistakes on them." One of my favorite acoustic tracks at the moment has a dead note in the few first measures (and even the sound of a door closing in the background). That's when you know you have a good take, when you're not willing to throw it out despite the error.

Of course, this is more for one-take recording, pro tools and all that makes it much easier to edit these things.

• Members

You guys are getting me going....

I've got quite a bit of studio experience and one thing I want to share is:

Focus, Focus, Focus on the take from the very first try. Then - don't be overly critical of your early performance. THOSE are the takes with the "magic". What I mean is by the 5th or 6th take the thrill is gone from your performance.

I will usually always choose early takes over "perfect" takes because of this.

Your finished product will be that much better!:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by acoustiholic

You guys are getting me going....

I've got quite a bit of studio experience and one thing I want to share is:

Focus, Focus, Focus on the take from the very first try. Then - don't be overly critical of your early performance. THOSE are the takes with the "magic". What I mean is by the 5th or 6th take the thrill is gone from your performance.

I will usually always choose early takes over "perfect" takes because of this.

Your finished product will be that much better!
:cool:

Yeah after a couple of runs my mojo slips away...........

interesting thread...........

Archived