Which Larrivee model is best for fingerpicking?

kwakatak

• Members

OM's are purpose-built as fingerpicking guitars. The L's are designed to be a bit more versatile--you can fingerpick or strum on them (and flatpick to some degree, depending on the style of music you're playing). For guys who want to play both ways or for guys like me who use a bare thumb instead of a thumbpick, the added bass response is nice. I'm comfortable on a rosewood OM, but not a mahogany. I can go for pretty much any wood configuration on an L.

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

OM's are purpose-built as fingerpicking guitars. The L's are designed to be a bit more versatile--you can fingerpick or strum on them (and flatpick to some degree, depending on the style of music you're playing). For guys who want to play both ways or for guys like me who use a bare thumb instead of a thumbpick, the added bass response is nice. I'm comfortable on a rosewood OM, but not a mahogany. I can go for pretty much any wood configuration on an L.

Hey Riff,

Glad to hear from you again. Hope you stick around.

Elliot

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

According to Larrivees website, you have that backwards.

According to Jean Larrivee, the OM is designed to be the versatile any style player and the L more focused in its design to be finger picked

I agree about rosewood on the OM being the best choice - I guess to expand the lower bass end of its tone.

?????!!!!!!!?????

"Some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's Florida."

?????!!!!!!!?????

Of course, not being able to buy an election would be the frustration of the Democrats who, in their typical immoral and thoroughly corrupt fashion, want to only count the votes they wanted to count AFTER ELECTION MALFUNCTIONS CAUSED BY THEIR OWN (TYPICAL) INEPTNESS AND MALAISE BASED LACK OF CAPABILITIES SOURCED LARGELY FROM THEIR DESIRED ACHIEVEMENT OF THE DUMBING DOWN OF THE CITIZENRY...

BLECH!

• Members

Originally posted by contact

According to Larrivees website, you have that backwards.

According to Jean Larrivee, the OM is designed to be the versatile any style player and the L more focused in its design to be finger picked

I agree about rosewood on the OM being the best choice - I guess to expand the lower bass end of its tone.

?????!!!!!!!?????

"Some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's Florida."

?????!!!!!!!?????

Of course, not being able to buy an election would be the frustration of the Democrats who, in their typical immoral and thoroughly corrupt fashion, want to only count the votes they wanted to count AFTER ELECTION MALFUNCTIONS CAUSED BY THEIR OWN (TYPICAL) INEPTNESS AND MALAISE BASED LACK OF CAPABILITIES SOURCED LARGELY FROM THEIR DESIRED ACHIEVEMENT OF THE DUMBING DOWN OF THE CITIZENRY...

BLECH!

I'm drawing my conclusions about the different body sizes from personal experience, having played several of each of Larrivee's models. I think Jean's thoughts on the guitar are a little more from an intellectual standpoint. The L is essentially a classical guitar, and the resultant balanced sound lends itself well to fingerpicking. The OM/000 body is sort of the 'tweener in the Martin line, fixed between the modern dreadnaught and the 12-fret 00 (the former being a premier flatpicking instrument and the latter being a fingerstylist's dream). Logically, his designations make sense from both historical and design perspectives. My ears hear it differently, however. OM's just don't have enough depth and warmth to satisfy me when I'm using a pick. The L's, however, do.

As for my signature, I'm entitled to my opinions (as are you). I don't really intend to engage you in a debate concerning American politics, but be careful about how you use the word "immoral". You don't want to walk that road with me.

• Members

I know the OM makes a good fingerpicking or all around guitar for many styles the L was designed specifically for fingerstyle at Larrivee. I have spoken at length in person with Jean Larrivee and Jean Larrivee Jr about it. In fact They are presenting a special guitar in the future I swore on an oath I would not give any details about. Needless to say I heard the facts from the creator of the L.

As far as the OM model Martin went through the entire 20s pretty much letting steel strings suck hind tit as far as coming up with new designs until Perry Bechtel (from Atlanta Ga my hometown) approached Martin with the idea of a new guitar for rhythm to take the place of the banjo. In a nutshell. Banjo Rhythym players turned to the 000 and OM guitars in droves. Bechtel was real unhappy with the lack of fret access many of them had on banjos so the shifted the bracing and flattened the top of the upper bout and came up with the 14 fret OM. Bechtel wanted a 15 fret clear of the body guitar.

I loose some of the historical facts because I simply forgot but that is the rough outline. The OMs also had 1-11/16" nut necks which aint no fingerstyle guitar.

In my opinion a good OM or 000 with a 1-3/4" or wider nut make killer fingerpickers though. So there is a historical and practical side of the story so I think Riffdaddy is right in one respect and inaccurate in historical data.

It's all about discussion... Anyone wants to build on this or correct it. Feel free. :)

• Members

Thanks for all the great replies! I guess I'm looking for a happy medium and I may have to give the L a harder look, then - probably an L-05 since I prefer gloss tops.

All I've ever really played are laminated dreadnaughts but they are proving to be too cumbersome and tinny for fingerpicking IMO. Sometimes it's like I'm wrestling with it!

OTOH I've been looking hard at the Taylor 314 and the size is comfortable (body and neck width) but they seem to somehow lack soul and the shape of the neck seemed to be too close to my Strat to justify.

When I tried Larriv

• Members

I have to agree with the L-bodies being better flat pickers. 000's and OM's have their own timbre, too, though, and I sometimes enjoy playing 'em with a pick.

Dreadnoughts aren't supposed to be for fingerstyle, but I've heard some cats sound GREAT playing 'em that way.

The player's approach really makes a ton of difference in these discussions.

EDIT: I removed the political content in response to contact's post to keep things guitar-oriented. Sorry to anyone who doesn't want to read the stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by orsino

Off to Open Jam with you.

Sorry. I'll delete something if it offends anyone. "Immoral" and "corrput" rubbed me a bit the wrong way and offended me (I used facts in stating my case). It isn't my intention to offend anyone.

• Members

Personally I'm offended by anyone who would want to drag politics into a perfectly nice guitar forum.

But... on topic, I've owned most flavors of Larrivees. Ls sound good and I find OMs more comfortable. But my favorite for fingerstyle is the 00-09! It's my one and only guitar at the moment, and it's has a tone and fullness well beyond it's size.

Archived