I'm Doing It All Myself Without A Computer

• Members

Not impressed. Though I will say the Green Day cover looks like it was done by a graphic artist to intentionally look that way.

Nope, it was drawn by hand. Obviously not every individual one.. but the original artwork. Same with the previous album to that.

• Members

I should see if my Mac has that.

If you're talking about programs which convert files from one audio program to another, then there are tons of free programs for the Mac (and for Windows) that do that.

Modern Macs ship with GarageBand, an easy to use multitrack audio recording program that lets you combine audio tracks, built-in instrument tracks, and loops.

• Members

If you're talking about programs which convert files from one audio program to another, then there are tons of free programs for the Mac (and for Windows) that do that.

Modern Macs ship with GarageBand, an easy to use multitrack audio recording program that lets you combine audio tracks, built-in instrument tracks, and loops.

I have it set to convert all the music I put on it to MP3s. Most of the music I put on my computer is stuff I recorded. I can send MP3s to folks as attachments on my email.

I may have Garageband. Most likely I do. But I have never messed with it.

The stuff that I have been recording and putting on CDs that I have been drawing record jackets for is all stuff I have played all the instruments on. Mostly it is solo acoustic fingerpicking stuff in a variety of tunings. That stuff I really don't need Garageband for. Not that I am against using Garageband. But the music I have recorded lately does not really call for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think its great to have the ability to do everything yourself but what I'm starting to learn about being hugely successful is that you must have a great TEAM!!!

Just look at people like Donald Trump and Russell Simmons. They're hugely successful because they have some of the most talented people in the world surrounding them. Their job is to create the vision for their respective companies and then they hand it over to experts that get the job done!

When you're doing everything yourself, it takes a lot longer to complete projects because you can only do one thing at a time. But when you have a team, you can complete projects a lot sooner which allows you to take the next step in the journey!

For whatever reason in this society, people feel like they must do everything themselves. But if we just learned how to support each other's dreams, I think life would be soooo much easier and we could spend our precious time doing the things we're passionate about!

• Members

I agree totally - it makes total sense to bring other people on board. But not right away. You have to be READY for those other people. Want to sign up with a talent/booking agency? You need to be already playing gigs. Want to hire a manager? You either need money, or a big fan base. I think the smart thing IS to go totally DIY until you reach the point where you HAVE to turn parts of it over to someone else.

• Members

I agree totally - it makes total sense to bring other people on board. But not right away. You have to be READY for those other people. Want to sign up with a talent/booking agency? You need to be already playing gigs. Want to hire a manager? You either need money, or a big fan base. I think the smart thing IS to go totally DIY until you reach the point where you HAVE to turn parts of it over to someone else.

I totally agree. Right now I am developing the thing. I recorded some music that I am very happy and pleased with. And I am trying to figure out what I want to do with it. I have three separate "products", I reckon- solo acoustic fingerpicked blues/gospel/minimalist stuff, solo acoustic fingerpicked atonal stuff, and multitracked psychedelic stuff. And I am making CDs of each of those three things. Graveyard Guitar represents the old timey blues/gospel stuff. Spontaneous Guitar represents the atonal stuff. And Alabama Space Monkeys represents the "psychedelic" stuff. I have much clearer ideas of what I want to do with Graveyard Guitar than I am with the other stuff. But I have more experimenting to do before I have refined my things to a point where I am ready to bring other people into the picture. And I think it is only a matter of weeks or months before I will be starting to seriously think about that. For now I'm just continuing to work on it.

• Members

I like the covers of the cd's and if I was at one of your gigs and digging the music, the cover wouldn't stop me from buying. At this point, I really have to wonder if it makes sense for an independent musician to do it any other way. You could go into a studio spend 40,50,100, whatever, hours recording, mixing , mastering, then ship it to diskmakers, run off a 1000, then, you've got to try to sell them in a market flush with free or almost free product. Your down maybe 10k from the get go plus your time. Now you have to sell 'em.

You've got even established artists(trent r.) thinking the way is to give it away in the hopes that someone will eventually buy something(be it a cd, hat, shirt, etc) very much like what Roy is producing.......something personal.

People thinking that if enough people hear your music, somehow, you will make money. Maybe. How that approach makes it possible to earn a living now as a musician is unclear. Gigs pay less than ever, recordings nothing. I'm pretty dismayed at the state of things. I don't think it's a very good time to be a musician compared to the 70's 80's 90's. I believe that a great artist could come along and change the current situation. Perhaps by using some new tech or by combining music with something else....who knows. But for now, you've got to question why someone would spend thousands and up making and promoting a buggywhip, er, I mean, cd.

• Members

I'm pretty dismayed at the state of things. I don't think it's a very good time to be a musician compared to the 70's 80's 90's.

It's not better for the professional musicians. Those who make a living playing music.

It's way better for the hobbyist musician. I couldn't have put out an album in the 80's. I would not have had the money to do it. But now, anyone can put out an album with worldwide distribution. The catch is that there's no money in it. If you don't need the money, then it's a great time to be making your own music.

Which is not to say that you can't make "any" money. You can make some money, but as you pointed out in another thread, not enough for music to be an actual career. Selling instruments, fixing them, and teaching people how to play them are fields that are still money making.

• Members

Which is not to say that you can't make "any" money. You can make some money, but as you pointed out in another thread, not enough for music to be an actual career. Selling instruments, fixing them, and teaching people how to play them are fields that are still money making.

Is it still possible to make a living as a studio musician for big name acts, IE playing drums for Hannah Montana?

• Members

Is it still possible to make a living as a studio musician for big name acts, IE playing drums for Hannah Montana?

Definitely. CDBaby interviewed a guy on their podcast who is the guitar player for the house band for "Dancing With The Stars." Those gigs are out there. But in his case, he got the gig due to connections he made spending God knows how many years as a for-hire guitarist. Those jobs don't go to some slob who walked in off the street with two different colored sneakers on.

• Members

well the whole limited run, hand drawn, signed by the artist personal touch, DIY DOES work for bands like Nine inch Nails and fans do appreciate the personalization so it just might work for eclectic instrumental guitar stuff like yours as well. Since you are selling them at shows I assume, then people will have vibed what you are doing and if they like it, they will appreciate or at the very least not care that the packaging is DIY. I'm digging what you are trying to do..The whole statement. It's working for many artists who aren't mainstream.

• Members

It's not better for the professional musicians. Those who make a living playing music.

It's way better for the hobbyist musician. I couldn't have put out an album in the 80's. I would not have had the money to do it. But now, anyone can put out an album with worldwide distribution. The catch is that there's no money in it. If you don't need the money, then it's a great time to be making your own music.

If you are one of the best in town. Top 5 you will always be able to make a nice living. If you are very good you can also make a living if you know how to hustle. Good is good and there are always gigs if you look for them if you are quality. Your typical hobbyist isn't good enough because they haven't put in those 10,000 hours of practice and dedication but those who do will aways make money and if they hustle, make enough money to live.

• Members

The "hustle" part being the key. It may be more important than talent. I know some professional musicians (ie they do music and only music for a living) who have marginal ability and talent. What they do have is a lot of hustle. They know how to get gigs, to get better gigs, to get them constantly, etc. You don't have to be any kind of great musician to play (gag) Mustang Sally.

So there are exceptions. There are plenty of guys who went to college for music and have played their entire lives, but chose a career elsewhere because there's no money (in general) in music. Maybe, like me, they got out of college, worked in music for a while, then dumped it for something higher paying that required less hustle.

But you are right - I'm not describing the "typical" hobbyist. The typical hobbyist didn't go to college for music... they maybe took some guitar lessons back when they were 16, they maybe were in a band in college that played 3 shows, and they're mainly making home recordings of cover songs in their basement. Then this Interwebnet thingie comes along and they decide to write songs and put them out there. And then they come here and complain about illegal downloading, even though their own music isn't yet good enough for any downloading, let alone illegal.

All of which means that although there are exceptions, I agree with you.

Archived