What electric has best acoustic feel?

bullpencoach

• Members

People think I'm strange, but I always want my electric to feel more like my acoustic. I play a Les Paul, but with the shorter scale it's too hard to get the sort of resistance I want, even with higher action and heavier strings. Does anyone have any recommendations for me to try out? Hollow-bodies have always "seemed" like a good bet, but most of the ones I try still veer towards the electric. Conversely, I've played some Telecasters that have been more what I'm looking for (again, perhaps the longer scale length).

Anyone else have the same interest?

• Members

For me, it's not so much scale length or resistance (put a set of 13's on and you're there!), it is body size. In my other post, I mentioned that solid body electrics seem to sit too close to the body for me to hold comfortable. Even when I jack the strap up and hang the guitar at chest level, I still feel my wrist cramped and over-rotated to be completely comfortable. For that reason alone, I've always preferred big jazz boxes when playing electric.

• Members

Scale length does make a huge difference to the feel of a guitar. Shorter scale = less string tension, simple maths.

But Preacher Will is right, go for heavier gauge strings - you'll get much better tone as a bonus.

Acuestick recently posted this link to a neck tension calculator that could prove usefull for you.

http://www.pacificsites.net/~dog/StringTensionApplet.html

• Members

I concur with the heavier guage string sentiment. Even on a Strat heavier strings will have a dramatic effect on the stiffness of the strings and the overall tone. Apart from the action being a little lower it plays almost like a Taylor GA anyway.

IMO a set of heavy-gauge strings on a Strat with the neck/mid pickup selected and a little edge taken off with the guitar's tone dials produces a better clean acoustic-like tone than what you can produce with an Ovation! For example, listen to what Mark Knopfler can do with a clean tone on a Strat-type guitar on "Why Worry" from Brothers in Arms or SRV's "Riviera Paradise" or "Little Wing".

• Members

I generally use heavier strings anyway, I just doesn't quite make up the difference for me. I agree with Preacher Will that the size may play into it (especially sitting down). I'm going to try a few more jazz boxes to see if I like them. Boggs thanks for the Carvin tip - I'll definitely take a look.

Archived