Now A Rebuild

Belva

• Members

I went and did it. I splurged on another USA Custom Guitars neck. Same scale, profile and radius. This one is mahogany with 3 per side tuners. It will be going on my green monster, egg dye guitar. It's getting a refinish as well. I got in a hurry and didn't wait long enough for the 2 pieces of poplar to get to know each other. Consequently I had a seam I could feel. It's now been stripped, sealed and primed. Stay tuned. I don't know where this one is gonna go. But I'm thinkin' green with gold mist over the top and gold hardware.

• Members

GreenMonster002.jpg

Finally decided on a color. I'm thinking mint green p/g and control cover would work well. But I'd like to make my sc size humbuckers mint green to match. Standard sc covers are available, but none for sc rails. Any suggestions for finding a paint that would match? Another option is a pearl p/g but that gets expensive. The pups I have are white.

BTW I have some gold flakes to mix in with the first coat of clear and I already have gold hardware.

• Members

GreenMonster002.jpg
Finally decided on a color. I'm thinking mint green p/g and control cover would work well. But I'd like to make my sc size humbuckers mint green to match. Standard sc covers are available, but none for sc rails. Any suggestions for finding a paint that would match? Another option is a pearl p/g but that gets expensive. The pups I have are white.

BTW I have some gold flakes to mix in with the first coat of clear and I already have gold hardware.

I love the color itself.Looks simple but impressive.How much have you bought that?.:)

Edit: spam removed. ij

• Members

How much have I bought what? The color is Duplicolor acrylic lacquer it that's what you mean. 2 cans @ 6 bucks a can. I always follow that with Sheffield brand lacquer that I got at the habitat store here locally. That was 10 bucks for a gallon with some already out of it. This is a builders thrift type store. I think I have enough clear gloss to last the rest of my life. I put it up in canning jars so it should stay good that way a long time. One jar is enough for one guitar.

• Members

I found some gold fast glitter stuff at my favorite hobby store. I mixed about a half tsp. in with 6 oz. thinned lacquer, stirred the phuck out of it and shot it on the body. It's like a subtle gold metal flake/mist effect. Not sure if it will show up with my cheap ass camera, but once the rest of the clear goes on and I get it polished up it will look way cool in person. Still considering a gold stripe.

• Members

I'm considering doing a swirl job on my HM Strat. Take some of that experience from my house painting days and put it to good use. I have also considered doing a cracked finish like this:

AL-820-AXL1.jpg

ina dark purple and lime green. the green on the bottom so that most of the axe will be purple.sorta like the monster energy drink colors.:)

• Members

I decided to put a gold stripe on this. Didn't like it, took it off. Almost had to start from scratch. Lot to be said in favor of using lacquer. I just used lacquer thinner on the stripe area and did a quick prime and spot touch up. But I did have to re shoot the gold mist and start over with the clear.

I'm now going thru the 3 week wait before polish stage. "The Waiting is the Hardest Part."

• Members

Part of the reason for ordering this configuration is the fact that I have the 3X3 auto trim tuners. I do prefer 3 per rather than 6 in line. The guitar in it's first life had an almost SG sound with the rail pups & individual switches. Hopefully the mahogany/rw will bring a bit more of that out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived