Pickup Choices?

Chris Loeffler

• Members

I've seen a couple of threads floating around about similar topics, but mine is a bit more specific. I would like to install pickups in one of my classical guitars, but the catch is that I need to be able to handle moderate amounts of gain without feeding back like crazy. I know that all will feed back to a certain extent, but I have managed to mostly tame my Martin Acoustic/Electric under very high gain settings. Any reccomended Pups?

• Members

Fishman Stereo Blenders... I like them quite well, but the acoustic sounds too "plucky" and banjo like for soloing... I have a cheapo classical guitar with a cheap pickup/preamp that sounds much smoother with gain, and I'm thinking that if I drop some decent pups in my better classical I'll get the desired effect. The only problem is that some pups pickup way more feedback because they are TOO hi-fi. Any thoughts?

• Members

You might look into the Bband A2 dual source system. You can install an endpin preamp and then the AST transducer sticks onto the underside of the soundboard. Then you can also add an internal microphone also and blend them. I think the system is very affordable. I think the A2.2 is the preamp with the little blender knob. Check with www.guitaradoptions.com or www.shorelinemusic.com

www.dougyoungguitar.com also has some nice sound samples of various systems. There are alot of good options.

:)

• Members

Yeah, it's me again, shamelssly plugging the Baggs Element. You'll find it much more dynamic and less "plunky" than your Fishman and at least as feedback resistant, maybe more. I can tell you now, any contact pickup, no matter whose , will feedback quicker than an undersaddle, period.;)

• Members

Originally posted by cmloeffler

Any advantage/disadvantage to an onboard preamp.

advantages: more control over your sound, buffering, boosted signal.

disadvantages: more stuff on your guitar.

you could do the same thing with an outboard preamp though.

• Members
Originally posted by cmloeffler

Any advantage/disadvantage to an onboard preamp.

Honestly, I see no advantage to onboard pre-amps...I don't require controls on the instrument (I've got fingers ;)), and I've known several people who've had theirs die on them, and in more than one case, there was no easy replacement, so the HUGE hole in the side of their guitar had to be filled...not pretty.

If my outboard preamp (Baggs PADI) dies, I'll just go buy another.

• Members
Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

Honestly, I see no advantage to onboard pre-amps...I don't require controls on the instrument (I've got fingers
;)
), and I've known several people who've had theirs die on them, and in more than one case, there was no easy replacement, so the HUGE hole in the side of their guitar had to be filled...not pretty.

I couldn't agree more. Who wants a big hole in the side of a premium guitar? Besides, you will always be able to get better performance from an outboard unit - just takes $$. I like my Baggs PADI as well - it's really a bargain at $150 or so.

Ken

• Members
Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

Honestly, I see no advantage to onboard pre-amps...I don't require controls on the instrument (I've got fingers
;)
), and I've known several people who've had theirs die on them, and in more than one case, there was no easy replacement, so the HUGE hole in the side of their guitar had to be filled...not pretty.

I don't even have a preamp, man. :p I just go straight to the amp. I need one, though. rofl

Archived