What Martin Is this a copy of?

bobmeredith

• Members

Bought this cheapy a couple of weeks ago and love it AUS$800.

http://www.music123.com/Aria-AD50-i135544.music?t=1

I compared it to several Taks and Matons in the AUS$2000+ price range and peferred it.

It has this funny Pyramidal shape Bump/structure on the back of the neck/headstock which the sales guy told me is a Martin feature. Not having played any Martins I wouldn't know.

It has a really sweet tone and great sustain and response.

It has a more pronounced bottom end than the other guitars I tried, is this also a Martin style characteristic?

Thanks for any advice.

Bob

• Members

The ad doesn't say what is on the sides. I'll assume laminate rosewood. Rosewood back, solid, spruce top, (solid), sounds like it's the D 1R. I think the D 1R is a great guitar for someone looking for a good intermediate guitar.

• Members

Nice guitar! Looks like it's patterned after a Martin D-28. The "bump" on the back of the neck is called a "volute", and Martin puts it on the D-28 and 000-28 models. The purpose of the volute is to strengthen the neck at the base of the headstock.

D-28's are known for having a strong bass response. They are often used in bluegrass music because they project well and can cut through the mix of banjo, mandolin and bass.

Enjoy your new guitar!

• Members

Thanks Folks, much appreciated.

Aria have another model (AD-80) which is really, really pretty with

solid sides and abolone binding and inlays. I'd love that one but they're not importing that model into Oz.

http://www.music123.com/Aria-AD80-i135543.music

Mind you, I think mine is better bang for the buck. For US$600-900

I'm sure there are other nice instruments available.

I had suspected that I'd "made a discovery" but seeing Aria acoustics don't get mention on this site I figured that the more knowledgable among you had written these off as cheap bangers.

I have to say that my AD-50 was flawless, and perfectly setup from the factory. The neck and fingerboard have a real high quality feel to them and make the git really easy to play without that "electric players acoustic" feel that the Taks sometimes have.

I lucked into two nice acoustics 20 years ago (Smallman & the Suzuki) but I don't know much about good acoustics in general.

I'd be interested in your opinions if you get to try the AD-50 or 80.

Bob

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

Sweet-looking guitar! For solid spruce top and solid rosewood back I can't believe how cheap it is! $399.99!
:eek:

I'm not sure if it's a copy of D-28, though. Maybe a higher-end line like a D-35? I thought that D-28's had plain black pickguards and rosette?

Definite 28 copy. 35's have the three piece backs and white binding around the fingerboard.

Martin Dreads are the most copied acoustic guitar design in the world so there are plenty of manufacturers out there making lookalikes. I have always liked Arias and found them to be very good values. IMHO they were one of the better Japanese brands in the 70's and 80's, although Yamaha is much larger and better known. I think these guitars are made in Korea by Samick which explains the quality. Since most of the production cost of a guitar is labor, NOT WOODS, it's possible to make a fairly low priced instrument with Asian labor.

• Members

Originally posted by 54merk

Definite 28 copy. 35's have the three piece backs and white binding around the fingerboard.

Martin Dreads are the most copied acoustic guitar design in the world so there are plenty of manufacturers out there making lookalikes. I have always liked Arias and found them to be very good values. IMHO they were one of the better Japanese brands in the 70's and 80's, although Yamaha is much larger and better known. I think these guitars are made in Korea by Samick which explains the quality. Since most of the production cost of a guitar is labor, NOT WOODS, it's possible to make a fairly low priced instrument with Asian labor.

Looks like a really decent herringbone D-28 "knock-off"! :)

Archived