Recommendations on recording/mixing freeware?

gwandsh

• Members

I have a buddy who I wish to exchange guitar tracks with. For example I want to record myself playing some rythmn guitar, and let him overlay a lead track on it.

We need some easy way to record the tracks, then mix them. We are in different cities, so I hoped to find some freeware that would allow either of us to email a wav or similar file to the other and get a composite of the music mixed.

I know folks are doing this stuff all the time. Is there a reasonably freeware (or real cheap) package that will easily record and mix tracks as described?

Tnx much

• Members

Reaper is the cheapest and you can download a full trial version. Both or you would need to purchase a copy. Its under $50 last time I checked. You do need an interface though. You may want to look into those first. Some come bundled with a DAW program. You can get a USB interface pretty cheap. Go hear and read all catagories on the left.

My guess is if you're having to ask which program to get, you need to do some makor reading to do. Go here and read all catagories on the left. http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm Then if you have specific questions post them in the recording forum.

This will at least get you out of kindergarden and into grade school recording knowlege levels. When you memorise all the links on that site I'll recomend you a few more that should help get you up to Intermediate school levels and then you should be able to learn alot on your own from there. If theres any terms you dont understand, Google them up. That site is all real basic stuff you need to know inside and out and moost of your questions should be handled in the process.

• Members

Reaper is great. Free to try and the cheap to buy a licence. It also supports VST plugs (see the free stuff sticky in the HC recording forum for some free effects plugs/virtual instruments). The VST stuff comes in really handy and alot the other free programs don't support VST.

Archived