"Most round" acoustic fretboard radius?

u6crash

• Members

I realize that many acoustics have a flat, or nearly flat, fretboard radius to facilitate the use of a slide. However, I find my hand cramps up playing barre chords on my acoustic more than the electric. I don't recall having this problem on my previous acoustic and I wonder if it is because my current one has a larger radius. I'm playing a Carvin Cobalt with 15" radius.

I can't see any reason as far as tone goes, that an acoustic couldn't have a smaller fretboard radius. Am I missing something?

• Members

A smaller fret-board radius limits the amount of string bending you can do. This is a bigger deal on electrics. Old Fenders were notorious for "fretting out" while bending strings.

Picture the fret board as a small section of a cone. If you hold a ruler on a cone, parallel to its axis, the ruler will be in contact with the cone along its entire length. If you move the ruler out of parallel at all it will "high center" on the cone. This is basically what's happening when a string "frets out". The larger the cone the less this occurs.

• Members

Not to be pedantic, but I was told one time by a Fender dealer that radius refers to a quality of necks (i.e., the back of the neck) while camber was actually the proper term when referring to the fretboard (or the curvature thereof).

Don't know, but it makes a bit of sense.

• Members
Originally posted by relictele

Not to be pedantic, but I was told one time by a Fender dealer that radius refers to a quality of necks (i.e., the back of the neck) while camber was actually the proper term when referring to the fretboard (or the curvature thereof).

Don't know, but it makes a bit of sense.

Pedant.

• Members

I'm aware of the fretting out situation on string bends, but current Fenders are still 9.5" fretboard radius and that's a big difference over 7.25". I've never had problems fretting out on modern Fender electrics, so why couldn't they employ the 9.5" radius on an acoustic?

Archived