How much for a neck reset?

Frank Remark

• Members

I have a Mossman dreadnought from the '80s...

The action was getting rather high up the neck, and when I showed it to my local repair guy, he said it needed a neck reset.

Ouch.

He doesn't do neck resets, though.

What's a ballpark figure for the cost of one?

• Members

Wow, there are some expensive estimates in there. Where are you? In NYC, a reset would go somewhere around $150 - 200. If you also need to refret, tack on another $75 - $225, depending on whether you need a partial or full job. All these estimates would include a basic setup.

• Members

Yeah, a lot of luthiers won't do a neck reset without planing and refretting the fingerboard. Hoffman Guitars in Minneapolis gives general estimates at $275-300 for a neck reset and 225-300 for a refret.

It makes you think - with all the decent sub $500 guitars out there today, for some people it would make more financial sense just to buy a new instrument. I'm guessing the increase in quality low-priced instruments hasn't helped the skilled luthiery trade any.

• Members

I paid $200 two years ago plus the refret and some other minor stuff I wanted done. Mine was a martin 12. I would think you would want to save the Mossman. I've played a few and you can't get that for $500.

• Members

If you don't plane and refret you usually get a hump at the 14th fret. Some luthiers will file the body before gluing the neck on to avoid thinning the fretboard excessively. Another trick is to separate the back from the kerfing and neckblock up to the waist. Then you reglue the neckblock and kerfing to establish a new angle. This avoids the planing refret sometimes. It's tricky though in that it sometimes messes with the binding there.

• Members

I paid $250.00 for a neck reset on my 1977 Mossman Flint Hills. The guitar shop (EM Shorts) where "Riffdadd" who frequently posts on this forum works, in Wichita Kansas did an excellent job. They had experience with Mossmans and seemed to take an extra bit of pleasure working on these great guitars which were made in Kansas.

• Members

I'm recently unemployed so I can't have it done at the moment, but it's good to hear that I could get it done for less than I expected...the only guy I know who does neck resets is this guy.

He has the reputation for top quality work, but he's kind of pricey and there's a waiting list to have major work done. (Note that he charges $100 for a set up).

Originally posted by rock4gzus

I paid $250.00 for a neck reset on my 1977 Mossman Flint Hills.

:) I'll bet that's one nice guitar.

• Members
Originally posted by Frank Remark

I'm recently unemployed so I can't have it done at the moment, but it's good to hear that I could get it done for less than I expected...the only guy I know who does neck resets is

He has the reputation for top quality work, but he's kind of pricey and there's a waiting list to have major work done. (Note that he charges $100 for a set up).

That's the same guy I go to. Just had a neck re-set done on a late '70s HD-28- $531.16 plays like a dream.

• Denny's work made me a beleiver. I actualy wept when I got my D-16GT back from him.

• Members
Originally posted by JasmineTea

That's the same guy I go to. Just had a neck re-set done on a late '70s HD-28- $531.16 plays like a dream.

Bastard! :mad:

But seriously, yeah, that's what everyone says. My brother-in-law told me his $100 setup was worth it.

How long did it take him to get to your guitar? Do you live in the Milwaukee area?

• Members

Bastard!
:mad:

But seriously, yeah, that's what everyone says. My brother-in-law told me his $100 setup was worth it.

How long did it take him to get to your guitar? Do you live in the Milwaukee area?

Well, I think he's worth it. There are plenty of hacks out there who'd love to have your $200. I tried to get him to cut some corners once for some bridge work. I felt pretty stupid after that conversation. He said if I wanted a hack job done that I should take it to a hack. He would'nt do it. He insists on doing things the right way because his reputation is at stake.

• Members

Be aware there is a problem with pre 76 Mossmans. These guitars were designed with no transverse brace above the soundhole, and can collapse severely. There's a special way to fix these guitars, in addition to doing the neck reset. If the soundhole is distorted, the lack of the transverse brace is usually the culprit.

GREAT sounding guitars though. I have a buddy with a later Great Plains that is just killer....

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

Yes I'm in the Milwaukee area. How do you like Sprecher beer?

Pretty well, especially the Black Bavarian.

But my favorite local brews are the Riverwest Stein Beer and Klisch Pilsener from Lakefront Brewery, and Louie's Demise Ale from the Milwaukee Alehouse...

Do you play out around here at all?

• Members

Pretty well, especially the Black Bavarian.

But my favorite local brews are the Riverwest Stein Beer and Klisch Pilsener from Lakefront Brewery, and Louie's Demise Ale from the Milwaukee Alehouse...

Do you play out around here at all?

Geez, I need to get into the city more often, I don't think I've had any of those beers. I'm about an hour away.

• You?

Archived