Another Carvin Cobalt for me I think

u6crash

• Members

I really like my Carvin 850C. It's got the cutaway and pickups, so now I'm thinking I want a full size with no cutaway or electronics and a different top. What are the big differences in sound between mahagony top, back, and sides and a spruce top with rosewood back and sides? From what I read, the mahagony sounds a little darker? The cedar top comes in satin finish only, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Any thoughts on these?

• Members

well finish is a visual preferance as tone is an audible preference. The spruce top w/rosewood body will give the notes a crisper attack. The guitar will have more punch than an all mahogany version of the same guitar and it will have a higher level of clarity and note articulation. These are my findings which are not backed by the US Federal Government Department of Tonal Anaylsis, nor did I receive any grant money to fund my reasearch.:)

• Members

The rosewood models are laminate sides and backs with solid spruce tops. Don't let the word "laminate" disuade you. These guitars are remarkably responsive and beautiful. They are also very stable in adverse conditions such as performing in heat and humidity. I have had my C980 for years and it is still my primary guitar.

• Members

I also own a c980 and use it as my primary stage guitar. Its a beauty--no plywood here...just a very nice laminate back and sides and tight grained solid spruce top with immaculate fits and finishes and a very nice sound plugged and well as unplugged. Excellent instrument that I'm most pleased with for the $580 I paid for it used.

For what it's worth, my other acoustic are 2 Martins and Taylor....

• Members

I misread the specs, and realized that many of the Cobalts have mahagony back and sides as oppossed to rosewood. I might just go with the 250 for its simplicity. And later on maybe the 980-12 because I've never done the twelve string thing. :)

• Members

Originally posted by u6crash

I misread the specs, and realized that many of the Cobalts have mahagony back and sides as oppossed to rosewood. I might just go with the 250 for its simplicity. And later on maybe the 980-12 because I've never done the twelve string thing.
:)

The mahogany backs are solid wood. All Cobalts are laminate sides. Stronger and more stable.

The C980-12s I played at NAMM and at the factory stores were the best playing 12-strings I had ever played and I did play a few at the luthiers' consortium as well... Those 12s are AMAZING!

Archived