Acoustic/Electric advice

jazzbo

• Members

Looking for:

Acoustic/Electric with cutaway, fast action, warm tone, hopefully low feedback.

As far as acoustic guitars go I think the nicest I have played have been made by Gibson, also Martin and Guild. I really like those small body Gibsons that are easy to play and have a nice mid-rangey tone. Something like that with a cutaway and electronics would be awesome.

Opinions are welcome!

• Members

Originally posted by jazzbo

Looking for:

Acoustic/Electric with cutaway, fast action, warm tone, hopefully low feedback.

As far as acoustic guitars go I think the nicest I have played have been made by Gibson, also Martin and Guild. I really like those small body Gibsons that are easy to play and have a nice mid-rangey tone. Something like that with a cutaway and electronics would be awesome.

Opinions are welcome!

Try a Martin 00016 RGT CE, I have one and it's pretty slick. I also like the shorter scale on my Gibson J45, but there's no cutway. The Guild, you shouldm find that to have a rather fat chunky neck and a large heel. Try the Taylor stuff, some like em a lot, and the neck is very electric in feel.

Larivee, makes a nice axe too.

What's you budget?

• Members

Originally posted by Mikeo

Try a Martin 00016 RGT CE, I have one and it's pretty slick. I also like the shorter scale on my Gibson J45, but there's no cutway. The Guild, you shouldm find that to have a rather fat chunky neck and a large heel. Try the Taylor stuff, some like em a lot, and the neck is very electric in feel.

Larivee, makes a nice axe too.

What's you budget?

Thanks for the advice. I was kind of hoping to get away under $1000, but I may have to step up to get a really good guitar like I want.

• Members

after years and years of not stepping up...when I did. OMG. well worth it.

I spent 1100$ on an electric/acoustic. spent more than I did on my Fender electrics.

but, well worth it. everytime I grab that acoustic it is ready willing and able. perfect always. makes one want to play and play.

• Members

Originally posted by slider

after years and years of not stepping up...when I did. OMG. well worth it.

I spent 1100$ on an electric/acoustic. spent more than I did on my Fender electrics.

but, well worth it. everytime I grab that acoustic it is ready willing and able. perfect always. makes one want to play and play.

Yeah, that's good advice. After all, 90% of the time I just grab my acoustic and start playing rather than set up an electric rig, it ought to be a guitar that inspires one to play.

• Members

Originally posted by jazzbo

Yeah, that's good advice. After all, 90% of the time I just grab my acoustic and start playing rather than set up an electric rig, it ought to be a guitar that inspires one to play.

I've got a Larrivee OM-03R, had it set up for jazz, can't get enough of it. It has multi-radius fretboard. You should be able to get one for under a grand (Idid)

Here's one with the B-band electronics. I can't speak for the quality of the B-band, I'm planning on getting a K&K Pure Western for mine.

http://www.larrivee.com/data/products/guitars/OM-03RE/OM-03RE.htm

edit: woops, just remembered your looking for something with a cutaway..

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

I've got a Larrivee OM-03R, had it set up for jazz, can't get enough of it. It has multi-radius fretboard. You should be able to get one for under a grand (Idid)

Here's one with the B-band electronics. I can't speak for the quality of the B-band, I'm planning on getting a K&K Pure Western for mine.

edit: woops, just remembered your looking for something with a cutaway..

Although, these Larivee's look pretty good. I wonder where I could try one out. Maybe I'll find one with cutaway...

• Members

I really love my Taylor (314-CE L7). They (the -14 Taylors) are know for their ease of fingering and defined highs tone-wise. Mine has Tazmanian Blackwood back/sides which really helps richen the bottom end. Some early problems reported with their Expression Pickup system, but mine is awesome.

• Members

I too suggest checking out the Taylors.

My #1 acoustic for plugging in is my 814CE.

These guitars play like butter & sound awesome.

(the reference to problems w/ the Expression System seems

to be primarily the early models. They seem to have gotten the bugs out) Mine is an 04 & sounds great.

Now if I was recording acoustic tracks behind a good set of mics, the Taylor couldn't touch my Martins. But for plugged in, My Taylor rules.

04Taylor814CE3.jpg

Archived