Push/Pull Switch?

Belva

• Members

I don't think these exist, but how hard would it be to design a 5 way switch with a push/pull function? About the most common mod on a strat is to add a p/p pot to engage either the neck or the bridge pup on all the time so you also have neck/bridge and neck/mid/bridge in addition to the normal 5 way functions.

Thoughts? Or maybe a 6 way to run neck and bridge on the sixth position?

• Members

Im not sure if this is what your trying to do but i believe wiring it like this would disable the selector switch when you pull the pot and make it neck and bridge at the same time then back to normal when pushed down. sorry for my horrible drawing skills

EDIT:

Actually now that i think about it the first wiring diagram i posted would only work in switch positions 1, 3 & 5 :facepalm:... I redid the diagram and think this one should work as i decribed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]332943[/ATTACH]

• Members

I've seen push push switches that have three positions. Press it three times and its on/on/off. I'm not sure how it was done mechanically cause I never had the guitar appart, but I suppose it was like a ball point pen that would cause a pin to latch into some kind of doubble groove before it was released.

A push pull with 5 notches would be incredibly difficult to use and unless you had some kind of knob height scale to visually see which of the 5 notches the thing is set for, you'd be guessing or using your memory which doesnt work well playing live if youre focused on playing well. Push pull switches are simple slider switches attatched to the knob shaft. To have 5 positions it would make the depth of the switch unusable in most guitar bodies. Using the thing would be like pulling out a fuel rod which is also very unnatureal movement for a rythum hand of a guitar player.

This is why a rotary switch is a much better choice. Weather the rotary sets vertical or horizontal is simply a preference choice.

• Members

Yes, these are things that have been done. I has a strat with a p/p now. My thoughts were for a 5 way with a 6th position by pulling UP on the blade. The visual ID would be the same as with a p/p pot, which is what I used to enable the neck pup on all the time for all 7 combinations. It's strictly an aesthetic issue. A bit longer blade would be less intrusive looking than the p/p pot in the up position. Mine's actually push/push, but the function is identical.

• Members

Yeah, it can be done, you can make it to where you lift it and bring it forward to engage the second set of 5 way switches, pretty much like a standard 5 way switch, except reverse the configuration a little.

Forgive this most awesome drawing, but I wanted to show it could be done and I just mspainted it.5waypushpull.jpg

• Members

Yes, these are things that have been done. I has a strat with a p/p now. My thoughts were for a 5 way with a 6th position by pulling UP on the blade. The visual ID would be the same as with a p/p pot, which is what I used to enable the neck pup on all the time for all 7 combinations. It's strictly an aesthetic issue. A bit longer blade would be less intrusive
looking
than the p/p pot in the up position. Mine's actually push/push, but the function is identical.

It seems like it would be hard to move that type of switch in different positions without accidently pushing the switch back down.

Archived