Treble bleed is locking volume at 100%

seanm27

• Members

I have been experimenting with treble bleeds on my all single coil strat.

I have used just a .001 microfarad capacitor, a .001 cap with a 100k resistor in series and again in parallel, and a 100 picofarad (.0001 microfarad) cap alone, in series and in parallel with a 100k resistor.

In EVERY case I have had the same problem: the volume pot simply stays at 100% until it is all the way down (at which point volume abruptly cuts out). This volume pot is a very typical logarithmic (audio) pot when not connected to the treble bleed it has a normal range of volumes.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?? I had heard that wiring the treble bleed in parallel can cause changes to the taper of the pot, but in this case the problem persists in parallel, in series, and with only the capacitor and no resistor!

In case you are wondering I have been able to do all of these variations because I wired the volume pot to an external SPST switch so I could find the right combination without having to open the guitar every time. Heres a poorly made pic:

externaltreblebleed.jpg

• Members

You're making this too complicated, no experiments are needed, IMO. Get rid of the switch, follow the diagram and it should work. If you don't like what it does to your sound, un-doing the mod is as easy as snipping them off...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=treble_bleed

What's happening now is either caused by having that switch miswired in the circuit, or you're using the wrong value (too large) of a capacitor.

• Members

I agree; if you've had the same problem on more than one guitar, you're somehow shorting around the vol pot with the circuit you've added. Make sure you're not bridging directly across the vol pot with your switch. I would actually suggest "tinkering" with component values to see if you can get what you're looking for, but it sounds like the immediate problem is either a direct short, a shorted cap, or wrong value component, ( a lot of mfgrs now seem to make up their own system for marking components, which can be confusing.)

Archived