Recordings: I butchered a couple for you guys!

kwakatak

• Members

After tuning my guitar down a 1/2 step I got into a good woodshedding session. I was having such fun that I plopped down in front of the mic until 1:30AM (when my butt fell asleep, though I was still pretty wired).

Questions (written by Tommy Emmanuel)

Questions (written by john Knowles)

Sorry for the warts on the recordings. I just had fun with these and wanted to share some good vibes.

• Members

Only had time to listen to the Tommy Emmanuel song. Very nice. Annoying string squeaks, but the playing, phrasing and the tune are wonderful. :thu:

I'll check out the other later, ya Kwak! :D

edit: Had time to listen to the Knowles tune. Out of curiosity, did you learn this from music in Fingerstyle Magazine? It sounds like a tune John played and wrote out for Fingerstyle with Vince Gill on the cover.

The only song I've worked on from that issue is Pat Bergeson's The Tower & The Crane.

From one Neil to another, great job on both!

• Members
Originally posted by fantasticsound

Only had time to listen to the Tommy Emmanuel song. Very nice. Annoying string squeaks, but the playing, phrasing and the tune are wonderful.
:thu:

I'll check out the other later, ya
Kwak
!
:D

edit: Had time to listen to the Knowles tune. Out of curiosity, did you learn this from music in Fingerstyle Magazine? It sounds like a tune John played and wrote out for Fingerstyle with Vince Gill on the cover.

The only song I've worked on from that issue is Pat Bergeson's
The Tower & The Crane

From one Neil to another, great job on both!

Thanks Neil! ;)

On Questions: try as hard as I might, I can't eliminate the squeaks with 80/20 strings. That's why I went with Elixirs for so long but no more. My next set will be PBs. BTW - the reverb actually makes the squeaks worse IMO, but otherwise I kind of like it.

On Boulevard: yes, that is the John Knowles tune from the Nashville FSG issue.

I've tried The Tower & The Crane but have trouble remembering the middle part so it's been on the back burner. If/when I decide to pick it up again I'll probably do it on my Strat with a clean tone at the neck pickup. I've been tempted to try Jerry Reed's Swingin' 69 but it's a little too complicated fo me. I have been trying Mark Casstevens' {i]Sour Mash Rag but it takes me a long time to pick up Travis-picking songs. So far I can only fake my way through the first 15 seconds.

• Members

I like it, man. Including the string squeak. Sincerely. The squeak made me smile. It's a quirk with me, but I always like some "dirty" element in any piece - something to remind me there's a fallible human driving. Perfection bores me, and I find that the little imperfections only tend to underline all the good elements - and there are many of those.

I enjoyed your playing. Thanks.

• Members
Originally posted by knockwood

I like it, man. Including the string squeak. Sincerely. The squeak made me smile. It's a quirk with me, but I always like some "dirty" element in any piece - something to remind me there's a fallible human driving. Perfection bores me, and I find that the little imperfections only tend to underline all the good elements - and there are many of those.

I enjoyed your playing. Thanks.

You're welcome. More folks should post clips here IMO.

I don't think there's anything wrong with squeaks, just that there are a lot of them. I find that when I'm tense I tend to grip the neck too hard which is what causes squeaks. OTOH, if I'm relaxed it's not too bad. It's certainly cheaper than using Elixirs.

BTW, listen to TE play "Those Who Wait" on the Only album. I detect a squeak or two! ;)

• Members

You're looking at the same songs in that issue I am. ;) (Given enough time, I'd like to learn them all.)

Funny story about The Tower & The Crane..

I had 4 jazz gigs last June in a town an hour east of Nashville. A local sound contractor sent me with a small PA (4 KF850's, 4 SB1000 subs)

The last one featured a wonderful jazz singer, Annie Sellick and a 3 piece band. When they began the last song, it was Caravan, first track on the CD accompanying the Nashville FSG issue we mentioned. I grabbed the CD and handed it to my FOH mixer as a neat segue into walk out music after they finished.

At the end of the show Annie re-introduced the band and it was only then I heard the guitarist's name. Pat Bergeson! As Caravan played again from the CD, I grabbed my acoustic and approached Pat and said, "This is what I've spent most of the last month learning." and started to play The Tower & The Crane. I asked him if the transcription looked like his fingerings, from what I was playing. He said it looked accurate. Then I noticed Caravan had ended and track #2 had begun.. The Tower & The Crane. :) Pat directed drummer Jim White's attention to the song, for which he'd played the drums.

It's a small world, but living in Nashville it's an even smaller world. ;)

(BTW - I'm friends with Roger Hudson whose compositions are regularly included in FSG. He taught lessons at MARS when I was a Pro Audio salesman. I'm also a professional acquaintance of John Pell who has also been featured. He teaches at Belmont University and, among other gigs, plays in special services at the Temple I attend. )

• Members
Originally posted by fantasticsound

Ok... but you do have The Steelers, who look to be primed as contenders for the Super Bowl.
:thu:

("Always look on the bright.. side of life.. {whistling})

Don't get me wrong, I love the Steelers but being a transplant from Philly and points north I hate everything else about this dank, gray little town and the "yinzer" mentality. :mad:

• Members

kwak... i dig... and the squeeks on the second one were awesome... i think the reason they stand out in the first one is the reverb... i don't mind them, but i think its the fact that they linger is whats getting at people... I'm with knockwood on this one.

• Members

FS: sorry for my rant. I married a Pittsburgh native who got homesick. When we moved here from Philly it was like going back in time 10 years.

"Yinzers" are died-in-the-wool Pittsburgh natives who think that "da Burgh" is the center of the universe. The term comes from their accent. Ex: "Yinz guys" = "you guys". I also argue with my in-laws who continue to refer to soda as "pop" (or as they say: 'pawp').

My point is that you would expect a city that produce George Benson to be a bit more cultured. Instead, they pride themselves on producing DOnnie Iris and "Perogie Races" at the Pirates games. :rolleyes:

Cldplytkmn: Yeah - the reverb may have been too much. Here's a non-verbed veriosn:

Questions without reverb

Archived