How to get an electronic sound I am after

Jamesapp

• Members

Hello,

I want to produce an electronic tone. One of my favorite artist beck uses this effect on a couple of his albums.

I downloaded a tone generator for my MacBook pro, and fooled around with it a little. But I found the tones to be to digital. I am after a type of drone effect almost like a cello. I want it to be continuos, like a drone that is electronic but at the same time musical. I thought if I could produce this sound I could add a recording of either instruments or voices.

I can't remember the album but there is a beck song at the end of one of his albums, where there is silence for awhile and then there is this electronic drone with other music, and then a conversation between two people, but that is what I am after.

I have a MacBook pro laptop. A couple of amplifiers, a cb radio and a boss br-800 digital recorder. Just wondered if anyone had any info on what I would need to get this sound?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

I'd say get a soft synth if its for a recording. Theres tons of them that are free. If its something you're trying to do live, a keyboard with synth sounds would be best. Building one is no amature job. You may be able to find a real basic leyboard kit and modify the tone. You would need to post something cause I have no idea what the tone is of if its doable with a simple project.

• Members

If all else fails you could possibly be less vague by going to YouTube and find some videos of songs that contain this sound, post links to them with note to which time(s) in the videos the sound can be heard and take it from there.

Archived