Slot Head Steel String

Vere

• Members

Are these less popular for a reason? Moreover, does anyone have any idea if there are any midrange pieces with this spec. For reference, I'm thinking something like the Martin 000-28B, that kind of head stock/string winding. Body size not as important.

• Members

Those slotted headstocks are back and getting more popular.

These a technique fro winding the strings that's obviously different than with a standard closed headstock.

I have a few 000 Martins and choose not to get the slotted headstock. It was just a personal preference decission

Try the Martin 00015 or 00016 , I think it's called a S model, for slotted headstock.

Go to Martinguitars or Martinguitar dot com, there site is very well don out

• Members

Slot heads look cool but everything else is a negative in my opinion. Harder to string up. More fragile to get broken if it hits something. More expensive and difficult to replace tuners if needed. You can debate about which stays in tune better but I feel the increased break angle over the nut causes more binding and tuning problems than improvement in tone. And yea...most of them are 12 fret necks because it's associated with an antiquated design.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

Slot heads look cool but everything else is a negative in my opinion. Harder to string up. More fragile to get broken if it hits something. More expensive and difficult to replace tuners if needed. You can debate about which stays in tune better but I feel the increased break angle over the nut causes more binding and tuning problems than improvement in tone. And yea...most of them are 12 fret necks because it's associated with an antiquated design.

Couldnt disagree more! My CEO5 stays in tune perfectly well,12 fretters are an old design,yes,but antiquated?The 14 fret 000 was introduced in,lets see,1929! There are some who argue that the placement of the bridge,in an area of greater vibration,contributes to a more balanced tone.

There is no problem getting replacement tuners-most of the bigger builders adapt their specs to the available hardware-Martin with Schaller,for instance.

• Members

Originally posted by bjorn-fjord

There are some who believe that guitars with slotted headstocks sustain better due to the greater headstock mass. Me, I dunno.

Greater solid mass improves sustain, less mass improves resonance. High-end jazz guitars had massive headstocks in order to improve sustain. Slotted's have less mass and therefore, supposedly resonate better. The logic is the same as with the body. Lighter bracing, thinner wood etc means more res.

I'm not a luthier, just a guitar player-filosofer...

Archived