To Cutaway, or Not to Cutaway

bwalker

• Members

I am considering putting up some money for a decent "Mid-priced" acoustic guitar. Today, my dream guitar is a Larrivee 10 series (Rosewood). The last 2 Acou-Elec guitars I've had have been Ovations (Celebrity Delx., and Cheap-o Applause version of the Cele-Delx.)

I am currently considering either a Larrivee 03 series (approx. $1500, according to their website) or a Ovation Custom Elite (approx, $1800 to $2000)

2 Questions:

1) Any input on my quitar selections??? I would like a full bright acoustic sound, with plenty of "over-tones/harmonics".

2) What difference does a "cutaway" make? Ovation claims that tone is IDENTICAL with or without the cutaway. Larrivee doesn't mention anything about "cutaway's affecting sound", but for an extra $300 you can get it on any of their guitars. Any input?

FYI: I'll rarely use this guitar un-plugged, so the "natural" sound isn't as important as what comes through the speakers.

• Members

I've heard that it really doesn't take much away from the tone. I used to think that they were just for show until I actually played the LV-03RE. I found it almost as easy to play above the 12th fret (bar chords as well as soloing) as my Fender Strat. I'm still a purist though and prefer no cutaways, especially on dreads.

• Members
Originally posted by bwalker

I think the cutaway looks "cooler", but my questions is if anyone thinks there is a tone differance. Is the approx. $300 differance for looks only???

It's for access to higher frets. And it takes a little more work to build a cutaway. Thing is, on acoustic those realy high notes tend to have that masquito tone.

mosquito.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by JasmineTea

It's for access to higher frets. And it takes a little more work to build a cutaway. Thing is, on acoustic those realy high notes tend to have that masquito tone.

mosquito.jpg

I hear only the females bite. Come to think of it, if that's true, what do the males do, go to McDonalds?

• Members

i don't think cutaways have an extremely profound difference on tone/volume, but i have to think that it has SOME effect on tone and volume... i don't see how it couldn't, except that i'm sure the design and bracing are compensated to make up the difference...

i don't personally like or need them, but if you want it and its worth the extra money to you, i'd say go for it.

• Members

I am currently considering either a Larrivee 03 series (approx. $1500, according to their website) or a Ovation Custom Elite (approx, $1800 to $2000)

Knock 35-40% off what you see listed at the site. And I'll also say that the 03 series is the way to go. Same guitars without the bling.

What difference does a "cutaway" make? Ovation claims that tone is IDENTICAL with or without the cutaway. Larrivee doesn't mention anything about "cutaway's affecting sound", but for an extra $300 you can get it on any of their guitars. Any input?

Debateable. Some say that cutaways take something away from tone. I don't know if any companies compensate for the loss of top surface by adjusting the braces and such.

FYI: I'll rarely use this guitar un-plugged, so the "natural" sound isn't as important as what comes through the speakers.

I would'nt take that approach. If you're going to spend a grand or so on a guitar, you should get something that sounds great unplugged. After all, it's an "acoustic" guitar. Most agree that you should buy the guitar and pup seperately.

• Members

i have a cut away on my guitar, and i actually use it quite a bit- i think it would bother me not to have one after having one for so long....have you considered martins? they have a pretty nice spruce top with cutaway for between 1500 and 3-ish , also in a semi acoustic model. if i get a new axe soon, this will be it, although i have played and liked larravies also, i find the neck to be a little fat for my tastes, but that could have just been specific to the ones i've played.:thu:
ps don't the females actually kill the males? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....

• Members

Thanks for the input. If nothing else, I won't go with the Ovation(s). I really like the larivee sound, even better than Martins.

It's still a coin toss about the cutaway, but I think when it comes time to fork out the money, I'll puke up the extra ~$300.

Archived