how difficult is it to reset the neck on a bolt-neck acousitc?

EvilTwin

• Members

I have a Seagull factory second that's neck was a tad "off" when I bought it, but it's only gotten worse the past few months (and it's nothing sanding down the saddle or a simple truss rod adjustment will fix).

Nothing I would rush into doing...but I am curious.

• Members

I'm not sure about a Seagull, but on newer Taylor's for example, you can simply remove the neck and insert a laser cut shim available from Taylor to change the neck angle. At worst, you should be able to make (or have made) a shim for the Seagull that would accomplish a change in the angle.

• Members

JT, that shows a dovetail. For a bolt on MT neck you can delete all the fret pulling - steaming - pressing apart - shaving, fitting glueing and clamping. On a bolt on the fretboard extension is normally glued to the top (I don't think it is on the Taylor NT neck) - you need to remove it with a little heat and a thin blade. Otherwise unbolt it from the headblock, shim or trim as required to get the angle right, bolt it back on (gluing the extension to the top with some clamping cauls).

here is a better frets article

Bolt on neck reset

• Members

Thanks for the info, guys. I appreciate it. :)

I've done some dirty work with electrics and installing UST's, so I might be able to handle this one...I've become paranoid of trusting my guitar with other people after too many bum set-ups.

Archived