Guitar straps you've used.

daklander

• Members

Stephenslr's post brought this about...

I currently have 5 straps I use and several others I don't use unless it's an emergency.

I generally use a;

Pickpocket leather strap when wearing my FG150. Brown 3"

Canadian made, unknown brand, very soft leather with some type of web lining, Model # F7GP on the Ventura. Black 2.5"

Brand unknown belt leather with silver buckle, tip and highlights on the FG411S or when playing a cowboy gig. A gift. Black 2"

Planet Waves, I believe, Suede leather with a large mesh center section to really keep cool when it's hotter than hell any time it's hotter than hell. Black, 3"

Wayco 3/8" thick closed cell foam shoulder section with heavy nylon straps and leather button hole ends, sometimes on the bass, or the electrics. Blue and Black 2"

I used to have a couple of straps I made. One from saddle cinch leather and the other from the chincha itself. Now, that puppy was great though it could be itchy. 4" at the widest part. Someone liked it more than I did and filtched it at a gig. I wasn't wearing it at the time. The all cinch leather one I gave away. If I build another with the cincha I'll figure a way to get rid of the cinch rings. They could knock against the guitar and, if you weren't careful, put a ding in it.

What else have you used in lieu of the normal straps?

• Members

My main strap was a gift, given to me by a fan at a funraiser I performed for the 5 Civilized Nations Reservation, and you can see it in my picture/avatar...white doe-skin and dude! it's is S-O-F-T and comfy!

Got a few others, but they're nothing special...3" wide black bull-hide leather

• Members

I prefer the Gretsch vintage style straps, the plain models are best but I have one of the tooled ones too. I like the shoulder pad how it helps keep the guitar in place. Fender has a cheaper version of the same thing which is not as nice but works almost as well. They are probably made by Levy.

I also have a few Planet Waves which are okay for some of my guitars.

I am looking to try one of the vintage styled El Dorados next.

• Members
Originally posted by suprswd

straps dont mean anything. just sit down when you play. straps dont even affect sound, what is this article for?

:bor:

It is intended to make those who only sit on their asses in their bedrooms get bored and go to sleep.
Or go out and have a hit or two and then go to sleep.
It is intended to get feedback from people who happen to have more than one $49.99 Cracker Jack Special and happen to play on stage, either alone or with a band and have several straps so they don't have to spend time swapping straps as well as guitar while hot during a gig.:freak:

• Members

I have one strap that's very special.

While traveling in Wyoming I visited Kings Saddlery. A famous place for tooled leather trophy saddles and other beautifully made tack. I noticed some beautiful tooled leather belts they had, and the next thing I knew, I was in the shop, talking with one of their saddle makers about guitar straps. We spent some time looking at leather and drawing some designs. I ordered it, and 2 months later it arrived, along with a matching watch strap. YowZA! Their hand-tooling is incredible... a very different thing from "stamped" leather. It's padded at the shoulder, very comfortable, and of course has the letter 'S" worked into the design. I'll have to get a photo of it to post.

Susan

• Members
Originally posted by daklander

T. A. H.
, That's a great looking strap.
:love:
I'll bet it's one you can wear for a 4 or 5 hour gig and not go home sore.

Yeah, it really is...I've got a spinal problem and this strap really helps with that and, again, it's pretty sharp-looking...if I do say so, myself. :)

I've had it about 15 years and when I switch instruments at my gigs (I carry at least two guitars - my Guild 6-string and my Taylor 12-string - and sometimes as many as 5, plus a couple banjos and a mando-cello) and I just unhook one and grab the next, never taking the strap itself off. :idea:

• Members
Originally posted by SusanV

I have one strap that's very special.

While traveling in Wyoming I visited Kings Saddlery. A famous place for tooled leather trophy saddles and other beautifully made tack. I noticed some beautiful tooled leather belts they had, and the next thing I knew, I was in the shop, talking with one of their saddle makers about guitar straps. We spent some time looking at leather and drawing some designs. I ordered it, and 2 months later it arrived, along with a matching watch strap. YowZA! Their hand-tooling is incredible... a very different thing from "stamped" leather. It's padded at the shoulder, very comfortable, and of course has the letter 'S" worked into the design. I'll have to get a photo of it to post.

Susan

Sounds pretty snazzy! :)

Archived