glue for bridge help

dinky1

• Members

hey guys i usually dont post on the acoustic forum. but i thought you guys could help. i recently aquired a hondo acoustic.pos. the bridge is coming unglued from the body and im not sure what to do . im sure i need to take it off and reglue it but what glue do i use? i traded 20 bucks worth of w$$d for it.

• Members

Originally posted by dinky1

hey guys i usually dont post on the acoustic forum. but i thought you guys could help. i recently aquired a hondo acoustic.pos. the bridge is coming unglued from the body and im not sure what to do . im sure i need to take it off and reglue it but what glue do i use? i traded 20 bucks worth of w$$d for it.

Animal hide glue or Titebond woodworkers glue are good bridge glues. Dont use permenant adhesives like epoxy.

• Members

Bridges are frequently glued with either hide or white (Elmers) so they can be removed. Yellow tightbond is difficult to remove. Build a real good set of cauls for both the top and bottom clamping and use at least 2 or 3 deep clamps - PM me if you need help. Use the pin holes to locate the saddle slot - and be aware that it may want to slide around on the top.

Frank Ford's site has some really good pics of how to remove the old one and do the operation.

• Members

Make sure you scrape all of the old glue off of the area under the old bridge. The only glue that will stick to itself is hot hide glue. All yellow and white glues will not stick to old white or yellow glues. Yellow glue (titebond) can creep especially in hot weather. LMI sells a terrific white glue that dries hard and won't creep.

• Members

Originally posted by dinky1

If you want the guiatr to play right, you'll want to have it re-glued

Archived