Which Tuner to buy?

kevs_just kevs

• Members

Hi everyone, i'm a proud new owner of my Art & Lutherie CheeryBurst Dreadnought! I know it's not fancy and dosen't have a solid top but, this guitar feels and sounds awsome and I got it for $160 USD!

My queston is, which tuners are good? How much do I need to spend, what do I look for in a good electric tuner for my new pride and joy?

Thanks,

Kevin

• Members

I have not had any luck with low cost tuners. Seiko has a new one out I would recommend. Works like the intellitouch without the low E problem. I played guitar long before they had tuners and had to tune by ear. We now have tuners and I don't have to do that anymore. It takes a good ear to tune as accurately as a tuner. Unless you just want to tune by ear I would recommend you use a tuner.

• Members

I came across a curious website about tuning. It is the website for Kevin Ryan guitars.

Apparently he was once a piano tuner and developed or practiced a tuning method which he refers to as Tempered Tuning.

Essentially, the tuning method realizes the inherent intonation problems of a fretted note versus an open note, and so attempts to minimize this tonal variance. In this way, all notes are slightly off from some theoretical mathematical relationship, but are more evenly aligned to each other. Something like this.

You go to his website, go to News and Notes, and then finally to Tech Tips where you find a "dissertation" on the topic: a sort of Theory and Practice piece, if you will. You can even download the whole thing rather than cut and paste. Very compelling treatise.

I'll have to give it a try as it is new to me, too.

• Members

those are cool guitars... nice entry level guitars that are actually constructed with care, unlike a lot of other entry levels

not to mention they are made by Godin like Seagull.. and i love my seagull

but as for the tuner, i'd just get somethin between 15 and 20 bucks

it's hard to go wrong if you ask me

• Members

The tuner I use most of the time, is the Intellitouch.

It attaches to the top of the head stock of the guitar. You can attach it and remove it quickly, or leave it attached as you play, then check your strings if they are still in tune between playing.

Surrounding noises don't affect the tuner because it is getting string vibrations direct through the wood of your guitar.

I have the black colored one that has the back light window, in case you are in a darker surroundings you can see it easliy and make string adjustments.

It uses two long lasting CR-2032 battries (Walmart).

It's very accurate tuner, and very convenient to use.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

The manufacturer of the Intellitouch is now offering a lifetime warranty on any tuner purchased in 2006. If you have an older model you can send $25 and they will replace it with a lifetime warranty 2006 version. This includes PT1 PT2 and CP2 for bowed or wind instruments. Best tuner I've bought ever!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by A. Aguilar

The manufacturer of the Intellitouch is now offering a lifetime warranty on any tuner purchased in 2006. If you have an older model you can send $25 and they will replace it with a lifetime warranty 2006 version. This includes PT1 PT2 and CP2 for bowed or wind instruments. Best tuner I've bought ever!!!!

Thanks for the info. I'll get ahold of them and do the swap. The hinge is a weak point on the tuners and Intellitouch has replaced one already and now it has a piece missing at the main body side of the hinge.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've had my Intellitouch 4 or 5 years now. Once the battery cover broke, once the clamp mechanism broke. Both times all it took was a quick phone call to Onboard Research; they sent out the replacement part in the mail the same day, no charge. GREAT customer service!

• Members

Intellitouch PT-2.

best thing since sliced bread. I always used a 440 fork before I got this tuner for my wife and her Mandolin. Went out and got myself one. Lovely....just lovely.

Used it on a uke, too. It's just damn handy!

Archived