good book?

suprswd

• Members

Originally posted by suprswd

p.s. i know how to read music. im going to cross out all the tabs, since im using theory+standard notation only now...

Why would you cross out the tabs?

That makes no sense at all.

• Members
Originally posted by kwakatak

He's trying to learn to sight-read by standard notation only. Don't ask me why, but I guess he sees it as a challenge.

How could tab hurt that process? If anything it is an aid.

I stick to rock, folk, country and blues (and yes, some metal...:eek: ). I never ran into a need to sight-read. I can't remember anyone ever breaking out sheet music at band practice or at a jam session.

Oh well, more power to him.

• Members

I don't know what the benefit would be either unless you're learning to play classical music and hoping to get into a music school.

For "lesser" varieties of music (like folk, blues, jazz, etc. ;) ) I actually see it as a hindrance. This is especially true of jazz which is built upon improvisation, though it does require a strong knowledge of music theory.

• Members

I don't know what the benefit would be either unless you're learning to play classical music and hoping to get into a music school.

For "lesser" varieties of music (like folk, blues, jazz, etc.
;)
) I actually see it as a hindrance. This is especially true of jazz which is built upon improvisation, though it does require a strong knowledge of music theory.

:thu:

• Members

I know the tab vs. notation vs. ear debate is nothing new, but I'll throw in some support for standard notation -- even the rather extreme option of using it exclusively. Of course this is all colored by my personal experience, which is in fact principally classical (on piano). But I think it applies to other types of music too.

It's an amazing thing to be able to harvest all the features of standard notation, especially if that comprehension is more or less immediate -- sort of like someone who has become proficient in a 2nd language. You can see the rhythm and the phrasing and the contour of the lines, you can think in terms of keys and scales for improvisation, you can sometimes do octave transpositions more easily, and you can interact with other musicians who are typically bound to notation.

I do acknowledge the disadvantages. For me sure it's easier to decipher 'E7,' instead of the stack of 6-notes that would be spaced out on a treble clef staff. For single note stuff though it could go either way.

That said, the brain is an amazing thing and someone could probably become a very effective player with the right amount of dedication to a given method.

• Members

Originally posted by brahmz118

I know the tab vs. notation vs. ear debate is nothing new, but I'll throw in some support for standard notation -- even the rather extreme option of using it exclusively. Of course this is all colored by my personal experience, which is in fact principally classical (on piano). But I think it applies to other types of music too.

It's an amazing thing to be able to harvest all the features of standard notation, especially if that comprehension is more or less immediate -- sort of like someone who has become proficient in a 2nd language. You can see the rhythm and the phrasing and the contour of the lines, you can think in terms of keys and scales for improvisation, you can sometimes do octave transpositions more easily, and you can interact with other musicians who are typically bound to notation.

I do acknowledge the disadvantages. For me sure it's easier to decipher 'E7,' instead of the stack of 6-notes that would be spaced out on a treble clef staff. For single note stuff though it could go either way.

That said, the brain is an amazing thing and someone could probably become a very effective player with the right amount of dedication to a given method.

Again, guitar is a unique instrument. The majority of guitarists that play rock, blues, country, metal and folk were never formally trained. Therefore, they don't read music. It can be difficult to find sheet music in standard notation for many of those songs.

Jazz and classical guitar is far different. Formal training is very common in jazz and classical guitar.

• Members

I agree Hudman -- can't argue with something that's worked so well for so many people. Actually I'm thinking now that my pro-notation argument might have been misplaced in this thread -- I just looked at the book and noticed it's a rhythm guitar tutorial.

How about this -- don't cross out the tabs for the simple reason that it will kill any possible resale potential, or even just limit its use if loaned out to others, or even just waste some perfectly good ink?

• Members

its not only rhythm, its got scales and arpeggios too.

all the players i like, except tommy emmanuel, are very keen at sightreading and music theory.

joe pass and don ross mainly.

im just trying to stay away from tabs to learn theory. i still bust out tabs every once in a while to learn a new song or something.

:cool:

and im crossing out the tabs so i can learn to play with the notes, since next summer i wanna play at a jazz club near where i live. they look at a simple lead sheet, and since they know all the theory, they fly all over the place. scales chords off the top of their head.

anyways, thanks for the help, ill let you guys know how the book is!

~Logan:wave:

(basically i plan on playing with other jazz players someday, and feel like tabs can hurt me where music will help, even though it is way more work)

• Members

He's trying to learn to sight-read by standard notation only. Don't ask me why, but I guess he sees it as a challenge.

i dont see it as a challenge, its just hard to read the music when the tabs are nagging at you right below it.

its like looking at a painting, or reading a description of the painting without looking at it...its easier to just look at the tabs, but i want to do notation only.

jimi hendrix started off classical.

Archived