Why do HC forumites hate on Esteban?

Heretic

• Members

I just noticed that Esteban gets some heat here, from sarcastic comments to teasing ones especially in the Acoustic Guitar section. It's as if he is the "Ed Roman" of the acoustics. Does he have any history of fraud or something?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

search function man... this thread could get interesting real fast...

long story made short... overpriced junk sold on HSN to people who don't know better... by a guy who is actually a pretty damn good guitar player, but unfortunately has $$ in his eyes...

• Members

It's probably just how he decided to market his "system" Crap guitars with a promise to play like a legend on QVC.
I wouldn't buy anything from Billy May, either. If it's offered "only through this special TV offer", run.

• Members

Are they overpriced? From what I have heard you can get an acoustic electric for about $200 That's about as cheap as it gets. I've never heard or played one, so I can't comment on the quality, but I haven't heard many good things

• Members

Originally posted by Heretic

I just noticed that Esteban gets some heat here, from sarcastic comments to teasing ones especially in the Acoustic Guitar section. It's as if he is the "Ed Roman" of the acoustics. Does he have any history of fraud or something?

OK, we know you are Esteban. Get back to "sharing your gift of music".

• Members
Originally posted by Stophe88

go to the user reviews

:thu: The reviews will entertain you while explaining why Esteban (Stephen Paul, actually, from Pittsburgh) gets so much heat. Esteban: originator of the shoe-polish-on pine fretboard, lol.

• Members
Originally posted by Hudman

OK, we know you are Esteban. Get back to "sharing your gift of music".

No, I'm just a poor guy who was caught wanking by his brother-in-law Busted! :o

Seriously, I just noticed that whenever an "overrated" or POS guitar is mentioned, someone would always put a picture of Esteban so I got curious.

• Members
Originally posted by Heretic

No, I'm just a poor guy who was caught wanking by his brother-in-law
Busted!
:o

Seriously, I just noticed that whenever an "overrated" or POS guitar is mentioned, someone would always put a picture of Esteban so I got curious.

I wish I hadn't clicked that

• Members

Ok, I may be a guy that got suckered in on HSN to buy a guitar. It may of been the crapiest one out there. And am still waiting to see if it lasts more than 2 months (current length of ownership).

One thing I must admit here, He has insipired those few of us to take up a guitar. End of sales add. Beyond that my Esteban guitar is holding up well. Maybe one out of 1,000 that actually does play.

His videos are ok. Not thinking about the fact that your trying to teach yourself from a video (not a good idea). (get a teacher if you really want to get the basics down, without creating bad habits in the beginning.)

And the fact you get all that stuff cheeper than you can buy a good beginner guitar. Which tends to tell you everything is much cheeper than what it should be for a beginner guitar.

I seem to agree with everyone here, even though I have been dupped into a quick purchase.

Let me just say this on this thread. He has atleast reached those that wouldn't of picked up a guitar in the first place. (if you really caculate the price of a "good beginner" set-up $400 - $800. With a guitar, amp, videos, gig bag, a few books, guitar stand, extra strings, and chord chart w/frame[frame not inclued]. All being of good quality in the first place.)

We may of steped on a first stepping stone that may fall out from under us quickly. But we have taken the first step, and are giving it a shot. Cross our fingers we keep going for years.

Maybe what I'm asking for here is don't color us "Dumb" but rather nuture us to growing into a good set up, which we should of purchased in the first place. (not talking about pre-packaged set-up's. But individual pieces that combine into a great group for biginners.)

Thanks
Thomas

• Members

Originally posted by t-harper

Ok, I may be a guy that got suckered in on HSN to buy a guitar. It may of been the crapiest one out there. And am still waiting to see if it lasts more than 2 months (current length of ownership).

One thing I must admit here, He has insipired those few of us to take up a guitar. End of sales add. Beyond that my Esteban guitar is holding up well. Maybe one out of 1,000 that actually does play.

His videos are ok. Not thinking about the fact that your trying to teach yourself from a video (not a good idea). (get a teacher if you really want to get the basics down, without creating bad habits in the beginning.)

And the fact you get all that stuff cheeper than you can buy a good beginner guitar. Which tends to tell you everything is much cheeper than what it should be for a beginner guitar.

I seem to agree with everyone here, even though I have been dupped into a quick purchase.

Let me just say this on this thread. He has atleast reached those that wouldn't of picked up a guitar in the first place. (if you really caculate the price of a "good beginner" set-up $400 - $800. With a guitar, amp, videos, gig bag, a few books, guitar stand, extra strings, and chord chart w/frame[frame not inclued]. All being of good quality in the first place.)

We may of steped on a first stepping stone that may fall out from under us quickly. But we have taken the first step, and are giving it a shot. Cross our fingers we keep going for years.

Maybe what I'm asking for here is don't color us "Dumb" but rather nuture us to growing into a good set up, which we should of purchased in the first place. (not talking about pre-packaged set-up's. But individual pieces that combine into a great group for biginners.)

Thanks

Thomas

I agree. It's cool that Esteban is getting people into playing the guitar. I wished his guitars were better. I also take issue with the fact that he makes it sound like it's easy to play guitar.

• Members
Originally posted by Cldplytkmn

search function man... this thread could get interesting real fast...

long story made short... overpriced junk sold on HSN to people who don't know better... by a guy who is actually a pretty damn good guitar player, but unfortunately has $$ in his eyes...

I could not have stated that any better

+100 - :thu:

Originally posted by t60 fan

We only hate Estebans that have been set up by Zager with elixirs.

:D :D :D :D

You make a good point. You thought you were making a decent purchase. Understood and prepare to be nurtured forward!!:thu:

Lesson 1: Get a thick skin.... won't be the last time your judgement will be tested and disputed......:D :D

But this is a bunch of good people and it's a fun place to discuss guitar stuff!!:thu:

• Members

to heretic- thanks for the reminder of why i avoid open jam... maturity level established...

to t-harper... i don't want you to feel like i, or any of us, think you're a sucker... I take issue with the man himself... he knows exactly what he's doing when he misrepresents things... don't get run off, alot of great people here... like frets said, prepare to be nurtured...

• Members
Originally posted by Utero

He compared his guitar to a Gibson....SAYING IT WAS BETTER

Well, if he was talking about my old Gibson Blueridge, he might have a point. :rolleyes: Whatta POS that was. Probably the worst acoustic I've ever owned.....and I've owned some real tone turds.

• Members

I agree with all of you,

I went back to my Music Store today, and we talked about the Esteban guitars. They have seen many of them and as of yet, they say, "Yours is the best we have ever seen. And that is giving Esteban lot's of credit."

Well my reply to them was, "I got the 1 in 1000 guitar from him." They agreeded...

Anyways, thank ya'll for the supportive effort.

I agree so far on the infomercials. He is bosting things he isn't promising, be leary of "Informercials" is the rule in my house.

I just looked at a Taylor while I was there. To say the least I was impressed. The feel of a good guitar, compaired to what I have is so different.

One helping comment to the author of this thread. Look around first, talk to your local Musical Stores. Chat online, do some threads here. Get to know what your looking for from www.musicfriends.com first. Then if you make a choice it will be well informed.

There are tons of great people around the guitar bit. Even if you don't like the same music, they are more than willing to help you get your Axe on the right tool.

Thanks Ya'll for the help, and I totally agree,

Thomas

• Members

Originally posted by theGOOCH

Are they overpriced? From what I have heard you can get an acoustic electric for about $200 That's about as cheap as it gets. I've never heard or played one, so I can't comment on the quality, but I haven't heard many good things

$200 is pretty expensive for a piece of firewood....

Archived