metallic sound ("hissss" ) when I record!

Misha

• Members

What did I do that is wrong? I hear that annoying metallic "hisss" in the backgroud...

Example:http://www.esnips.com/doc/048a946a-8976-42ea-bdfd-4dd3bcc83318/fingerstyle_learning.mp3

I use a (cheap) Behringer UB501 mixer to record plus a (cheap) Beyerdynamic microphone and Audacity. How am I suppose to set the gain and level knobs? Is it the problem? I use to do better with Audacity???

edit:

***Warning***

beginner stuff! :D

• Members

I know that the bit rate isn't the problem because I could hear it in Audacity before I converted it in MP3.

It's when I try to eliminate the noise with Audacity that it does that. I selected "minimum" and it still does that metallic sound! :confused:

*by the way, I have the french version of Audacity!*

And thanks for the idea of posting this in the recording forum!

• Members

lol!

Thanks Rock Martyr, I posted it in the RF!

By the way, good people around here even if they can be "purist", acoustically speaking (*engrish here!*)! I don't think that I have seen you here before yet! Hang around, you'll get to know them/us!

• Members

When you're recording with Audacity, you can choose the bit resolution and sample rate.

I'd say that 16 bit/48000 Hz is the minimum for decent recording.

It's possible that your soundcard doesn't support this. If that's the case, you can get a soundcard that DOES support it for, like, $5, if you find a good sale.

• Members

Hi, Misha!

I have a very similar recording setup to you : a Behringer UB1202 Mixer, a Shure PG57 microphone, Audacity (with the separately downloaded MP3 conversion plugin) and a just the stock integrated soundcard that was built into my machine by Dell. I've been tooling with it for about a year now (though I want to get a condensor mic someday) and I believe I have found a sort of workaround to the problem.

1: use only the XLR inputs to your mixer. The 1/4" inputs just don't seem to cut it for me. Ideally your microphone should have a male XLR plug and not just a 1/4" to XLR adaptor on the end

2: use headphones to set your levels. If there is any hiss in the chain you should be able to hear it and adjust the various gain and output settings accordingly.

3: when adjusting your levels, aim at setting it low enough that you don't get any hiss. On my Beringer I set the active channel's gain to the 2 o'clock position (-20), the level to the 1 o'clock position (+3) and the main mix level to -10.

4: this is important: set the gain and output levels all the other unused channels all the way to the left (-? ) so that they are "off". I know it sounds screwy but even though there was nothing else plugged into my mixer they're were still active and generating "hiss" in my signal chain.

5: I've found that with my settings I don't get a very strong signal but that's OK. I do some post-recording augmentation tricks in Audacity that somebody over at APM once mentioned in passing. Here's what works for me:

a) duplicate the original stereo track

b) set the balance on the original to 30% left and the balance of the copy to 30% right

c) select the entire length of the copy track (by clicking in the left-hand margin

d) select the time shift tool

e) zoom in on the wave form display until you can see the fine detail of the wave (that I like to call "the squiglies")

f) shift the wave form (again on the copy track) slightly to the right (by a couple of nanoseconds or so).

NOTE: basically what you've done up to this point is created an "approximation" of a second microphone. I've never used more than one mic myself so I doubt it really sounds like this but the result is still that you've got a "fatter" sound with a general augmentation in the recording's overall volume.

g) listen to the playback. If it's still too quiet increase the gain on each channel in +3 increments. +3 usually works for me but I wouldn't recommend going above +6.

h) at this point I also like to run a reverb filter to help shape the sound. My PG57 lacks high-end sparkle and I record in a very small room that is prone to producing bounce-back echoes (that sound like I'm recording inside a box). I use the ANWIDA Soft DX Reverb Light filter that is a free download available at (http://www.anwida.com/download.asp) because it's simple to use (only 5 sliders) and gives me an adequate amount of reverb and quality boost for an MP3 download.

To run the filter, I just select all (both tracks), adjust the settings so that I get about 12%-15% reverb effect and make sure that the output is at 100% (it's set by default to chop it to 75%)

Anyway, here's an example of the results I get:

http://media.putfile.com/On-Eagles-Wings

Hope this helps! :wave:

Archived