Classical guitarists, UNITE!

Mercer

• Members

I love the classical guitar but I'm an improvisational kinda guy. I even at times (heaven forbid) use a pick with my classsical when I record for a certain sound that I like. I gotta say that your club sounds a bit snobbish......

I just bought a cheapo guitar on EBay, haven't even got it yet but it's really over the top on inlays.....But just the look of it makes me want to pick it up......

Guitar7527.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a bit of a classical guitarist... though as a performer, my interests pretty much skip straight from Bach to 20th-century repertoire, bypassing most of the Spanish material... (though I love a lot of Villa-Lobos's vocal music)...

I also have a lot of love for well-executed flamenco...

So, Bach, flamenco, 20th-century, and Latin dance forms...

Meh.

I play a spruce-top which was built by a luthier named Otto Vowinkel, who's based in Amsterdam... in a year or two, I'll trade it in and spring for a David Rubio, if there are any good ones left on the market.

• Members
Originally posted by Flamencology

I play a spruce-top which was built by a luthier named Otto Vowinkel, who's based in Amsterdam... in a year or two, I'll trade it in and spring for a David Rubio, if there are any good ones left on the market.

A Vowinkel? Cool! I came VERY close to picking up a 67 Rubio about a year ago. I was all set to do the deal and then the seller got cold feet at the last minute. Grrrr...... :mad: Oh well, the seller probably made the right choice. :D

If you ever find yourself interested in a cedar/indian Byers,

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=17662390

I have one for sale. :)

• Members
Originally posted by riffmeister

If you ever find yourself interested in a cedar/indian Byers,

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=17662390

I have one for sale.
:)

Nah... I'm sure it's a great instrument... but I think it's the Vowinkel's the final stepping stone between me and my Rubio... (and I've been through a few in my 12 years of playing)

:cool:

• Members

Nice! Looks like a Fleta!!

I could only wish...although it's got a really fine, balanced tone and plays beautifully. Even if I was lucky enough to pick up a Fleta, I'd definitely hang on to this one.

I was lucky, in that I bought it new and it's truly aged beautifully. That and the fact that I found the right sets of strings (Savarez with the wound G or the Corum Alliance high tension) to bring out the best sound.

I'm very happy with this guitar, thanks, riff.

Bob[

• Members
Originally posted by sinnerboy

id like to join this group even though im a beginner and just recently started classical lessons, have you decided on a name yet?

See sig and pick one, I guess.

Also: I'm not trying to be snobbish, it'd just be nice to know who plays classical guitar for discussion type stuff etc. I just said that "genre snob" thing to poke fun at a cliche' of classical guitarists.

• Members

i have just started playing classical about 3 weeks ago, after playing folk/rock type stuff for the last few years.

I've never played classical befpore and it's like learning the guitar all over again :cool::thu:

i printed off the Giuliani 120 right hand studies, they are gonna be Very useful :)[

• Members
Originally posted by raggety

i have just started playing classical about 3 weeks ago, after playing folk/rock type stuff for the last few years.

I've never played classical befpore and it's like learning the guitar all over again
:cool::thu:

i printed off the Giuliani 120 right hand studies, they are gonna be
Very
useful
[

24 Right Hand Patterns:

1) AMIP 7) MAIP 13) IAMP 19) PAMI
2) AMPI 8) MAPI 14) IAPM 20) PAIM
3) AIMP 9) MIAP 15) IMAP 21) PMAI
4) AIPM 10) MIPA 16) IMPA 22) PMIA
5) APIM 11) MPAI 17) IPAM 23) PIAM
6) APMI 12) MPIA 18) IPMA 24) PIMA

:wave:

• Members
Originally posted by raggety

I've never played classical befpore and it's like learning the guitar all over again
:cool::thu:

i printed off the Giuliani 120 right hand studies, they are gonna be
Very
useful
[

I really got a lot out of those Giuliani studies. That and the Segovia scales were a good means of getting my hands strong and quick. I still play the scales (I think they're really important), but, for some reason, don't need the arpeggios as much as I used to. Tend to get that out of the pieces I play, now, I guess.

Not sure whether you're taking lessons...but if not; you might try moving your picking hand around while you do scales/arpeggios to alter the color. Helps you to find your own, personal, favorite tone. Up near the neck, you can get a very nice harp like sound. Near the bridge is great for staccato, etc. Sometimes, it's interesting to move the picking hand in the middle of a scale or arpeggio. Like moving from sunlight to shade.

MERCER: I'm definitely a classical player...and anyone that thinks saying that implies "snobbery", is a snob themselves. Imagine telling someone who says he/she's a blues player that they're a snob...Hell; Mozart was a complete freak in his day.

I also play other styles, though...so, as a result, I don't work as much on the standard classical repertoire as I'd like. I tend to write my own stuff. Lately, though, I have been re-working Leyenda and Recuerdos de la Alhambra and am having some fun with some Scarlatti and Satie transcriptions.

riffmeister: digital cameras are great. I'm sure that Velazquez is out of this world...but I only got the body from that shot. Surely she's got more going for her than that alluring hourglass figure?

Where'd you find it, anyway?

Bob (still in Vermont but on the 'net for an afternoon)

• Members

Originally posted by guitapick

riffmeister: digital cameras are great. I'm sure that Velazquez is out of this world...but I only got the body from that shot. Surely she's got more going for her than that alluring hourglass figure?

Where'd you find it, anyway?

the second of the two pics I posted shows the whole guitar (the pic of the guitar against the wall). Got it from Dream Guitars in NC. It is the best guitar I've played in my life. (seriously)

• Members

That is a beauty, alright.

I'm glad you're playing a guitar that's of that calibre and means that much to you. Much as I love mine, I have played and definitely noticed the difference in some pretty awesome guitars.

I think the best I played was an old Rodriguez that this luthier, Masterson (I think), in LA had hanging on his wall (about 30 years ago). The strings were so old, yet it was fantastic. I asked him how much and he laughed. Once I told him my price range ($1000) he immediately showed me the Fernandez I have, now. I was real happy with the way it played and sounded...but then another guy (he was the guitar instructor at USC) who was there played Canarios for me, on it, and I was completely sold. It was some treat hearing him, too. He could PLAY!

If I sold my electric stuff, I could get a fine classical. I've considered it, lately, as I haven't played with a band in a few years. Not quite ready to pull that trigger, yet, though. I'm in love with the Strat and the Boogie.

That said, though: I did just visit the Dream Guitars website. Here's a 2001 Velazquez. Looks real sweet:

http://www.dreamguitars.com/preowned/classical/velazquez_brazilian_2001.htm

How would you describe the sound on yours?

• Members

Originally posted by guitapick

I think the best I played was an old Rodriguez that this luthier, Masterson (I think), in LA had hanging on his wall (about 30 years ago).

Here's a 2001 Velazquez. Looks real sweet:

How would you describe the sound on yours?

If I sold my electric stuff, I could get a fine classical.

Older Rodriguez guitars are highly coveted these days, in the $30K range. I'd love to try (NOT buy!) one sometime......

I've played well over a dozen Velazquez guitars......the nicest ones to my ear have all been the older ones, from 1980 and before. I have four at the moment.....'56, '66, '78, '80. The 80 is absolutely remarkable......excellent volume across and up the neck. It has a perfect blend of richness and clarity in all registers. Depending on right hand placement and attack, the guitar can sound bold and bright or warm and seductive. All my guitars do this to a degree....the 80 just moreso than the others......it is very responsive to player input. And the playability (string height/spacing, neck profile, fret height, etc) is just perfect for my hands. Everything has 'come together' in one guitar, with this one.

If you like your classical (and it seems you do!), don't sell your electric for another classical. Above all (for me, at least), Variety Is The Spice Of Life when it comes to musical instruments. I could not live without my other electric and steel string acoustic guitars!

• Members

Originally posted by F-holes

24 Right Hand Patterns:

1) AMIP 7) MAIP 13) IAMP 19) PAMI

2) AMPI 8) MAPI 14) IAPM 20) PAIM

3) AIMP 9) MIAP 15) IMAP 21) PMAI

4) AIPM 10) MIPA 16) IMPA 22) PMIA

5) APIM 11) MPAI 17) IPAM 23) PIAM

6) APMI 12) MPIA 18) IPMA 24) PIMA

:cool: i'll make a note of them :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by F-holes

They can play out over a possible 15 different string combinations.

1) 1234

2) 1235

3) 1236

4) 1245

5) 1246

6) 1256

7) 1345

8) 1346

9) 1356

10)1456

11)2345

12)2346

13)2356

14)2456

15)3456

What each one of those 24 can play one of those 15 ? :confused:

• Members

Older Rodriguez guitars are highly coveted these days, in the $30K range. I'd love to try (NOT buy!) one sometime......

If you like your classical (and it seems you do!), don't sell your electric for another classical. Above all (for me, at least), Variety Is The Spice Of Life when it comes to musical instruments. I could not live without my other electric and steel string acoustic guitars!

Yeah...the Rodriguez was some guitar.

I really do love my classical. I also happen to love every guitar I have, though...so chances are that I won't be selling anything real soon. Having played some top notch classicals, though, and being out of the electric scene; it's only natural that I'd be thinking about it. And Velazquez is way up there on the list.

Incidentally; to anyone interested: I've been playing a couple of Scarlatti pieces which are nice, airy, and not so difficult, lately. A Sonata in Gmaj (transcribed by Maria Luisa Anido) and a Gavotte in Dmaj (transcribed by Albert Valdes Blain). Not too much of a drain on time and really nice pieces.

• Members

I got ahold of a Ricardo Sanchis, which is fully restored by myself. This is a 1930's flamenco guitar, made before flamenco was anything more than a folk instrument, not like now. All the right woods, but truly a folk instrument. The Spanish Pine top grain is so uneven in width, it's not funny. It sounds great close up, rings like heavenly bells, and sounds like a speaker system when you go to the back of a large room, which experience tells me is the sign of a great guitar. I use Hannabach flamenco super-high tension strings on it, as it is a slightly shorter scale than a regular classical. Sorry for the grainy pic, but that's how it goes.

• Members

Originally posted by Bilbo

I got ahold of a Ricardo Sanchis, which is fully restored by myself. This is a 1930's flamenco guitar, made before flamenco was anything more than a folk instrument, not like now. All the right woods, but truly a folk instrument. The Spanish Pine top grain is so uneven in width, it's not funny. It sounds great close up, rings like heavenly bells, and sounds like a speaker system when you go to the back of a large room, which experience tells me is the sign of a great guitar. I use Hannabach flamenco super-high tension strings on it, as it is a slightly shorter scale than a regular classical. Sorry for the grainy pic, but that's how it goes.

Grainy pic adds to its mystique!

Archived