German fretted zither

Tony Burns

• Members

I have a zither thats been referred to as a Fretted German zither, it looks simalar to an auto harp ( with no note bars ) with a fret board attached to the side with strings - it has a BR soundboard , ive had this instrument for about 30 years now and im curious if anyone knows anything about them or how to play them , the only problem with this that i can see is that one of the bone tuner knobs is missing ( Tuning peg complete other than the knob - probably from age ) and i have no idea where to get strings for it or how to tune it - its definitely late 1800's or very early 1900's - anyone familiar with these -- thanks ahead of time .

• Members

I did a search on them after i posted this on the forum , and the one i have is called a " Concert Zither " I know that in the early seventies there was a German club in the buffalo NY area , think it was called the Buffalo Zither Club or Band . A friend at the time said his parents had a couple of these that belonged to his grandparents that came over from Germany . Lark in the morning has a few listings for these and i also found out that in the late 1800's to the early 1900's thy were vey popular in Germany as well as the German immagrants in the US there was also a very famous Concert Zither player who did the music for a movie about 50 years ago , think it was called " The Third Man " or something like that . I was also stunned when i found out because of the number of strings on it they cost about 200 dollars US to buy them ( the strings )- I think mine is German made ( even thou i found out Martin as well as Washburn made these in the early 1900's ) I dont think anybody plays these anymore , ( at least seriously ) but it is a really neat and beautiful instrument .

• Members

Originally posted by Tony Burns

there was also a very famous Concert Zither player who did the music for a movie about 50 years ago , think it was called " The Third Man " or something like that .

"The Third Man" it was. Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles. 1949. It was my old man's favorite movie. Great, great flick, and the zither soundtrack is what I always identify with it. I highly recommend the flick - you'll fall in love with the instrument. I look at them, though, and can't fathom how anyone plays something that looks so complicated.

• Members

It does look somewhat complicated , Ive boughten alot of zithers over the years and most of them are gimmicks which were never popular, but the concert zither is a different matter - Just think its one of the most beautiful instruments I ever bought - back 30 years ago i think i paid 40 bucks for it - I had to borrow the money to get it , and i went home and made a wooden case for it - It has a rosette around the sound hole with a circle of acorns and an emblem made of Pearl with a engraved castle and battle scene on it --besides the Brazilian Rosewood top -- it should be in a museum, tempted to pick up the cd of the music for " The third man " by Anton Karas --

• Members

They have a video their on Anton Karas playing the third man music , and its fantastic- wondering why the concert zither isnt a big instrument as it once was, with such a complex sound - very simalar to the guitar in many ways - again many thanks ! ( I like it alot better than the Lute )

Archived