String Recommendations/Options

bwalker

• Members

Ok, so as I'm sure many of you put "guitar strings" on your X-mas list, I'm hoping that you could help me be more specific to the type/brand that I ask on mine. I can try to describe my playing (feel free to ask questions), and normal string life, and I'm hoping that you could recommend a couple string options that I could throw on my list. Ideally, I'd like to narrow it down to one "golden" set.

Ok, First Question:

1) 80/20 vs. Pho-Brz vs. ???: If I remember correctly one has a louder, brighter sound, and the other is a quieter richer sound?? Please advise. I'm interested in Bright and Loud, as I play in noisy rooms often un-amplified.

2) I currently use D'Ad Lights (either 11's or 12's). I normally hammer the strings pretty hard with the pick. However, I also do plenty of bending (nor more than 1 whole step), during solos. Whenever, a string breaks 9 times out of 10 it's the Low E or A string (NOT the high E or B). Does this mean I can even get lighter (preferred)???

3) I've never really been patient enough to test out tone of strings over time. However, since I'm asking, we can throw this into the mix.

From the forums that I've read I have a idea of what would be best for me. Elixir (either custom lights-11, or extra lights-10), not sure about the material (See #1 above), and can anyone advise on Poly vs. Nano. However, the reveiws that I read said good things about the longevity of tone on elixirs.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Members

BWALKR

Check out The Thomastik-Infield Spectrum bronze strings.

An Austrian company, they make strings for classical stringed instruments and the quality is superb. Easy to play, well-balanced,
beautiful.

Strings & Beyond carries them.

Sherwood

• Members

Strings are discussed over and over and over and over - and we still can't agree on what is best, or even what they sound like. Here are my humble thoughts, and I exect that by the end of this thread others will say just the opposite.

Therefore, the first thing I will suggest is that uncoated strings are cheap (5 bucks or so a set) and here is a little trick to help you decide what you like. Buy two sets by the same manufacture in the gauge you are playing now - but one set 80/20 and one PB's (I don't care which brand - frankly I can't tell much difference). Put one set on and play them for two weeks. Some how record them when brand new, at one week, then at two (I have a little cheap cassette that I just set on the coffee table). Now put the others on and do the same thing.

Listen to both sets - new and "broken in" - and form you own opinions.

Here is what I think I hear on my fingerstyle gits - PB's might be a little brighter when new, but quickly mellow. I think that overall 80/20's are brighter, more metallic, and more "ringy", and retain the brightness longer.

When you add a coating to a string it seems to take a little of the brightness away. I think coated strings sound more like their aged uncoated equivalents - and they last much longer.

Elixer makes both their original composistion, which is 80/20 (not marked as such) and newer PB's (which are). The difference between Elixer Polywebs and Nanowebs is the thickness of the coating - poly's are thicker, have less string noise, and I think are mellower.

Once you have decided whether you prefer 80/20 or PB's on your guitar, try a coated set in the same composition (there are other coated strings besides Elixer). Coated strings will run $10-15 a set, but generally last much longer. Most uncoated strings will start to sound "dead" in anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Don't make the mistake of comparing your nice new strings with the old dead ones - new strings almost always sound better.

Last thing to experiment with is gauge. If your guitar plays well with the lights there is no reason extra lights wouldn't work, and there are mixed sets of light-mediums and medium-light.

Now someone else will chime in with exactly the opposite opinion

• Members

I've used several different kind of strings on several different guitars, and I use to swear by D'Addario EXP, Phos Bronze, and after already trying several before that, Martin SPs, Dean Achlemys, and Elixirs, mostly all Coated strings. I've used D'Addarios for the Longest, and I've never gotten one to break. Great reliable string with Decent tone, but for the past few months, i've been using nothing but Elixir Polyweb Lights. They sound just as good as the D'Addarios, and the make sliding up and down the neck so much easier. After playing with the Elixirs for so long, I picked up one of my other Acoustics, which has D'Addarios on it, and my fingers will stop, dead in its tracks when I slide, because of the wound grooves on the strings.

Strings do make a difference in sound, they all sound like crap when they are dead, but generally mostly all Strings sound good brand new. Coated strings will last the longest. I still have life in my Elixirs after playing at a Show on Saturday night, to still sound good for Church in the morning.

Take into an account how they feel to you, because all strings feel different. Elixirs tend to be slippery to some people. So for Me

The best all around string are the Elixir Polys
The best lasting would be the EXPs by D'Addario
The ugliest string The Dean Markley Gold Achlemy
The cheapest string with pretty good sound would be any thing martin, uncoated

Remember, these are just my opinions, and experiences, not saying they are the correct ones, just stuff i've learned over the years.

Out of them all...Elixirs are the most expensive

• Members

Originally posted by bwalker

Ok, so as I'm sure many of you put "guitar strings" on your X-mas list, I'm hoping that you could help me be more specific to the type/brand that I ask on mine. I can try to describe my playing (feel free to ask questions), and normal string life, and I'm hoping that you could recommend a couple string options that I could throw on my list. Ideally, I'd like to narrow it down to one "golden" set.

Ok, First Question:

1) 80/20 vs. Pho-Brz vs. ???: If I remember correctly one has a louder, brighter sound, and the other is a quieter richer sound?? Please advise. I'm interested in Bright and Loud, as I play in noisy rooms often un-amplified.

2) I currently use D'Ad Lights (either 11's or 12's). I normally hammer the strings pretty hard with the pick. However, I also do plenty of bending (nor more than 1 whole step), during solos. Whenever, a string breaks 9 times out of 10 it's the Low E or A string (NOT the high E or B). Does this mean I can even get lighter (preferred)???

3) I've never really been patient enough to test out tone of strings over time. However, since I'm asking, we can throw this into the mix.

From the forums that I've read I have a idea of what would be best for me. Elixir (either custom lights-11, or extra lights-10), not sure about the material (See #1 above), and can anyone advise on Poly vs. Nano. However, the reveiws that I read said good things about the longevity of tone on elixirs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here's my $.0276 (adjusted for inflation):

80/20 Nano lights (.053 - .012)...going any lighter will rob most guitars of their acoustic tone (thin sound/poor bottom).

The Polys are my preference, but I play "plugged in" a great deal and the mellowness compensates for the brightness of the UST, but you mention that you want bright/loud and play unplugged a lot...

• Members

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

80/20 Nano lights (.053 - .012)...going any lighter will rob most guitars of their acoustic tone (thin sound/poor bottom).

Choosing a guage that will make the guitar remain in the case will really rob the guitar of all tone - meaning it is silent in the sense that it is seldom played.

Best compromise I have found is custom set 011-052 and it makes me play for a couple of hours without any pain in finger joints.

Q1: But there are other options too, choosing a thicker guage like 012 or 013 set and put a capo on first fret, and tune it normally. This reduces tension in strings and makes it easier to handle.

I have not tried this myself yet, but am curious about if any of you do this and what effect on tone it has?

What is more important for tone - mass or tension?

Q2: The string action also causes different result.

Choosing a thicker guage would make it more likely that you go for absolutely lowest possible action, to make it playable. This looses some tone too because angle of string to top changes - in this case decrease and result in lower volume.

What are your thoughts about changing setup and result in change of tone?

• Members

I have an old Kay jumbo (half Kelvinator head stock) that I kept kicking around in the shop. It was played regularly by everyone and keeping strings on it was a bear. I found out about the new Black Diamond strings and put a set of their coated (black coating) strings on it. The strings lasted longer than a year with off-and-on playing. The company will work with you on differently gauged custom sets. I even had them put together a special set of strings for Bluegrass. The ones already on the market (light guage on the top and medium gauge on the bottom) are not evenly balanced. If you would like to know what to ask for from the company send me an e-mail......bd

• Members

I tried some Elixir nanowebs a while back and didn't like them at all. But, recently Elixir has come out with a Phosphor Bronze version of the nanowebs that sound MUCH better on my guitars.

I've never liked the sound of 80/20 - makes my guitars sound cheap and tinny - and that was the only acoustic string that Elixir made in nanoweb. But, now there is an option - so if you tried 80/20 nanowebs before and didn't like them, the PBs are definitely worth a try.

The polywebs sounded similar, just a bit deader, so the cheapness factor wasn't as bad.

But the Elixir coated PBs are very similar sound-wise to D'Addario uncoated PBs which are my reference go-to strings.

BTW I use 0.011s for a good compromise between tone and bendability.

• Members

I too like bright, loud, with lots of 'ring.' I hate dead strings, but I'm not crazy about changing them every day. I have tried LOTS of strings over the years. I have settled into Elixir 80/20 Polywebs. They last at least 4 times longer than the best uncoated strongs, and about twice as long as DR or D'Addarop EXP's. They sound MUCH brighter to me than any PB strings. I use medium-lights, and have no problem bending them, and get a very solid low end.

• Members

One thing you can try is a string wound on a round core. Most strings are wound on a hex core because it gives the wrap wire an edge to bite into. This makes it a lot easier to manufacture, but some string companies do offer round core strings. I noticed a big difference on my OM-21 recently, but it is the only steel string guitar I am playing right now, so I have not tried them on another guitar. DR makes a round core acoustic PB called Sunbeams. That is what I use, but I know there are others.

Archived