Need to remove the nut from a Martin D-16gt

grunge782

• Members

^^ To expand you cut through the finish that may surround the nut edges so when you take it off, it wont crack the finish.

Then you get a big chunk of metal and a small hammer. I use a bbig flat file, set it against the nut on the fret side and just

use a real light tap tap to crack the glue bond. Once the bond is broken you go in back of the nut with an Xacto knife

or sheetrock knife blade and make sure the nut isnt hanging on to any wood fibers.

Martin likely uses bone nuts so getting it off in one piece requires you tape it with a metal edge as wide as the nut.

If you use something narrow like a screw driver blade, you'll shatter it in pieces and you woundt be able to use it as a

template for making a new one easily.

• Members

^^ To expand you cut through the finish that may surround the nut edges so when you take it off, it wont crack the finish.

Then you get a big chunk of metal and a small hammer. I use a bbig flat file, set it against the nut on the fret side and just

use a real light tap tap to crack the glue bond. Once the bond is broken you go in back of the nut with an Xacto knife

or sheetrock knife blade and make sure the nut isnt hanging on to any wood fibers.

Martin likely uses bone nuts so getting it off in one piece requires you tape it with a metal edge as wide as the nut.

If you use something narrow like a screw driver blade, you'll shatter it in pieces and you woundt be able to use it as a

template for making a new one easily.

Thanks. This is kind of what I figured I should do, but I was just going to ask around first to make sure before I pull out the exacto knife.

• Members

Good deal. No damage to geetar I take it?

Well I made a VERY VERY small scratch (probably about the size of a grain of salt) with the exacto knife on one side of the neck right near the nut, but otherwise all good :thu:.

Archived