what is a good humidity for my new larrivee?

caseykey118

• Members

Originally posted by caseykey118

I'm going to keep it on its stand as much as possible in college. What is a good humidity for in the room, and also should i get one for the soundhole? thanks a lot guys.

45% - 55%

Good luck with it in a college dorm.....:eek:

• Members

Dude, if you're living in a dorm and/or with roommates, please keep that guitar in its case when you're not playing it. A little inconvenient, yes. But SO much more convenient than the otherwise inevitable drunk dip{censored} falling over it or picking it up and slamming the headstock into something, etc.

• Members

naw i live in a pretty tame dorm actually.... i'm going to get the clamping Hurcules dual guitar stand for my electric and my acoustic..... i live in the honors dorm where no one drinks basically.

I usually keep my acoustic in the case whenever I'm not playing it during the Michigan winters. I leave it on a stand in the summer.

Most people have no idea how fragile guitars can be. Many people have trouble respecting other's personal property.

My family and I are going to Kentucky to visit my mom for a few days. My inlaws are house / dog sitting for us. I plan to pull my Strat off the wall and put it in the case while I'm gone. I trust my inlaws, but accidents happen often in life. I also have no idea who they might have in our house while were gone (wild kids, idiots, etc).

A dorm room is the same way. Your room mate may invite a jackass over while your gone.....

• Members

Is it ok to just have my guitar in its case with like a baggie with holes and a damp sponge when i'm gone??? and have it on a stand with the room humidifier on when i'm there??

That is what I do, altho they don't spend much time on the stands. Here is what Jean Larrivee says about humidity

http://www.larrivee.com/flash/features/education/humidity/humidity.html

For what it is worth, up here in the great wet northwest there is currently snow on the ground, it has rained/snowed the past few days, and the RH in my music room was 35%. Gits are all in their cases with a wet sponge next to their heads

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

That is what I do, altho they don't spend much time on the stands. Here is what Jean Larrivee says about humidity

For what it is worth, up here in the great wet northwest there is currently snow on the ground, it has rained/snowed the past few days, and the RH in my music room was 35%. Gits are all in their cases with a wet sponge next to their heads

Interesting that he says to keep a guitar uncased and on a stand if it is in a higher humidity environment, and cased only if in a low humidity environment.

• Members

Interesting that he says to keep a guitar uncased and on a stand if it is in a higher humidity environment, and cased only if in a low humidity environment.

My uneducated guess is that the air circulation on a stand in an open room might lessen the effects of the high humidity as opposed to a closed case/mold factory?

• Members

My uneducated guess is that the air circulation on a stand in an open room might lessen the effects of the high humidity as opposed to a closed case/mold factory?

Yeah, that's exactly right, according to Mr. Larrivee.

Archived