open tunings...

vchizzle1

• Members

I want to play so bad right now. but, it too late and everyone's asleep except me:cry:

I started messing around in open D tonight when I was playing(sorta):D Dancing Days by Zep. I started noodling around in that tuning and was having a blast. haven't played in open tunings in years. just started coming up with all kinds of ideas. lots of fun. so for anyone looking for some new inspiration, try a new tuning:thu:

• Members

Right now I have one guitar in open D (a reso), one in open C (a 12 string), one in open G (another reso), one in dropped D, and a couple out of tune.

Open D is a great tuning for blues, slide, and some pretty modern fingerpicking - Duane Allman's "Little Martha", Kottke's "Watermellon" and "Echoing Gilowitz", Fahey's "Poor Boy", and amost all of KJ Phelp's slide work are in that tuning. I think "Tree Top Flyer" is also (I don't play it) and Blind Blake's "Police Dog Blues", the haunting "Dark was the Night", "Steel Gutiar Rag", and of course, the other name for the tuning, "Vestapol"

• Members

Open D is a great tuning for blues, slide, and some pretty modern fingerpicking - Duane Allman's "Little Martha", Kottke's "Watermellon" and "Echoing Gilowitz", Fahey's "Poor Boy", and amost all of KJ Phelp's slide work are in that tuning. I think "Tree Top Flyer" is also (I don't play it) and Blind Blake's "Police Dog Blues", the haunting "Dark was the Night", "Steel Gutiar Rag", and of course, the other name for the tuning, "Vestapol"

I play "Tree Top Flyer" in DADGAD.

• Members

I always associate dadgad with Celtic music. the thing is, the only tune I personally play in that tuning is a little Spanish fandango thing by John Miller called "Jalapenos"

I counted them up once and I think I was using about 8 different tunings in all.

Lately I've been spending most of my time in standard tuning again.

• Members

I always associate dadgad with Celtic music. the thing is, the only tune I personally play in that tuning is a little Spanish fandango thing by John Miller called "Jalapenos"

I counted them up once and I think I was using about 8 different tunings in all.

Lately I've been spending most of my time in standard tuning again.

Led Zeppelin's Kashmir is in DADGAD.

Don Ross uses it on a couple songs (Catherine is one of them).

Archived