AT2020/AT2021 bundle for acoustic/vox recording? Yea or nay?

kwakatak

• Members

The Shure 57 just ain't doing it for me. I've tried everything to get decent quality and drew the line when I found myself sitting on the toilet in the downstairs bathroom and feeling rather silly.

I think it's time I made the jump to a starter condensor mic and a few folks in several forums have mentioned the Audio Technica AT2020. Well, I want to be able to record vocals and sing at the same time - and maybe even get a dual signal off my guitar if at all possible. Is this bundle any good? The reviews seem split:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/AudioTechnica-AT2041SP-AT2020-AT2021-Microphone-Pack?sku=270455

• Members

Neil:

That's about what I came up with when I was asking around. Lot's of people recommend them but nobody's actually used them. If you can handle it why don't you be the guinea pig? You should be able to recover 1/2 on Ebay if they turn out to be a pig in a poke.

As Frodo, or some other little green runt said; "There is Another". Take a look at the MXL V67i or CAD M179. There were some senior members who suggested these along with the Audio Technica 2020/2021

• Members

Yeah, the 603's are pretty good but the AT2020 by itself is a very nice mic and the AT2120 should also be a good mic. Also understand the 603 is damned near an omni pattern, very wide cardioid.

Though I have not personally used the AT2020 I know a couple of people who have used with very good success. That package would be in my mic locker if I had the extra bucks. Things are a bit tight right now or I'd already own it strictly on the basis of the results my friends have had.

I own several MXL condenser mics;

2) MXL1000 handheld condensers, 20mm diaphragm (I call 'em a medium diaphragm). Now discontinued but essentially the same capsule the 603 has though a smaller, more standard cardioid pattern.

1) MXL1006 large diaphragm mic. Now discontinued but, IMO, one of the best mics Marshall Electronics made.

1) MXL990 not really a large diaphragm mic, IMO, at 20mm. This mic is not as smooth as either my MXL1000s or MXL1006. In the limited times I've used it, it can be a bit strident and has more of a super cardioid pattern than the others.

If I were to opt for another MXL mic I would look very hard at the MXL67i mic with the dual diaphragms.

Archived