Played three acoustics today,a Guild and a Epiphone Masterbuilt,and a jumbo Alverez.

KATMAN

• Members

Both the Gulid and the Epiphone Masterbuilt were made with solid wood.The jumbo Alverez model had a solid spruce top,not sure about the back and sides.All three of them sounded close,but the Guild and Epiphone were a little darker sounding.If I had the money today I would've bought the Guild,mostly because of the glossy finish.The Guild was slighlty higher in price,but they only had the two of them.The two Guilds,one was a jumbo twelve string,Epiphone had more models to choose,but they were all different in prices.The EF-500R was $636,and the Guild was $100 more. I take it Guitar Center has more to choose from. The Alverez was ok,but sounded too bright to be a jumbo.But the price was killer,under $500! Choices,Choices,choices,etc. I might be checking out the Alverez later,if they would throw in a hardshell case.Are these good choices for acoustics?

• Members

. . . Are these good choices for acoustics?

Yes. ;) Seriously, they're all good choices. If the Alvarez was the AJ60S, it has laminated maple back & sides. The maple b/s would account for the brightness you heard. Yes, Alvarez makes excellent low/mid-priced guitars and you'd be well served by it if you can live with the sound.

• Members

I A/B'd the Epi AJ-500 against the Guild GAD-50 and to me it was no contest. The Guild not only sounded fuller, richer but the fit and finish were much better. Tough to find a solid rosewood, spruce dred with bone nut and saddle for that price.

I think they are both good guitars though at those price points and I don't think you could go wrong.

Good luck, it's always a tough decision, but one of them wants to be yours more than the other.

Play them again, then play them again. :thu:

• Members

I played two more guitars today,I'm trying to stay local and not go to Springfield,Mo. to a Guitar Center. I played a Walden and another Alverez,it was kind of boomy,but used for $400.The Walden was great sounding,all wood,for $350,new.I was very impressed with the Walden,to me I think it held up to the Epiphone Masterbuilt. Laugh if you may,but they really make some nice guitars.I don't know what model The Alverez was I played,I think it was a RD something model,and I liked the tobacco/sunburst finish.

*I checked the Alverez out on the MF website,it's AD model,not a RD model.With a little bit of haggling,I could probably get it for the same price as MF at another store down the block.

• Members

Hey KATMAN, I lived in Springfield for 20+ years and if you go there you need to go to Springfield Music on Fremont Rd., just south of the Battlefield Mall. When I lived there I bought several acoustics from them and they were always helpful and honest. Never tried to sell me up to something above my needs.

I stopped by there a couple of months ago when I was visiting family and they guys still remembered me, even after being gone for two years!! They carry a great selection of Alvarez guitars. They also carry a line called Timberline guitars. They are very reasonably priced all solid guitars. Anyway, just thought I would put my plug in for them if you end up going there.

• Members

Hey KATMAN, I lived in Springfield for 20+ years and if you go there you need to go to Springfield Music on Fremont Rd., just south of the Battlefield Mall. When I lived there I bought several acoustics from them and they were always helpful and honest. Never tried to sell me up to something above my needs.

I stopped by there a couple of months ago when I was visiting family and they guys still remembered me, even after being gone for two years!! They carry a great selection of Alvarez guitars. They also carry a line called Timberline guitars. They are very reasonably priced all solid guitars. Anyway, just thought I would put my plug in for them if you end up going there.

I have a friend and a cousin in Springfield. I met and jammed with a fellow forum member who lives there,or near,and probably knows the music store by heart. I just used Guitar Center as an example,but when I go,I will defintly check it out.Thanks for the info. BTW,what part of Oklahoma do you live in? My folks and in laws live in Muskogee and I go there a lot.I shop at Square Deal there when I need small items!

Archived