Follow up - Top 40 Radio

T.B.

• Members

A couple weeks ago HC member Mr. Troy Mclure questioned, had top forty radio station deprived us of great music of Jim Croce, many of use agreed and lamented how radio has become myopic in general. NPR reported today, the Federal Communications Commission anti-"payola" settlement with four major radio broadcasting companies.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7718608

With few exceptions NPR has been a major source of new music I've happened upon the last two decades. The FCC seems to think just cause they've leveled heavy fines against the radio/major labels, they'll turn over a new leaf and play fair. How do find/discover new artist/music?

Trina

• Members

How do (you) find/discover new artist/music?

Trina

1. Friends ("Hey, you gotta hear this!)

2. XM Deep Tracks

3. NPR

4. Prowling around CD stores, looking for interesting stuff. Unfortunately, something that seems to be getting harder to do. Just not into downloading.

• Members

As of late, this forum.

Diggin' through musician friend's album collections after they pass out.

Browsing the sections of the music store that no one else is browsing.

My father...that man is a music junky!

• Members

I had a rental car with satellite radio and I really liked it. It reminded me of how much music I wasn't hearing. I have been relying on Itunes for new music and... well it has not been enough.

Speaking orf the forum being a good place for learning about new music...A friend recommended Rocco Deluca. He plays a National Reso with an electric pup to great effect.

• Members
How do find/discover new artist/music?

Trina

Vintage Guitar Mag. They don't pull any punches. It's either lousy, fair, decent, or great. Unlike "Rolling Stone" where some wacked out esoterrorist decides that Van Morrison is the best rock and roll artist of all time. That and word of mouth around here.

• Members

here's how I find new music.

I read the liner notes. I read who played bass on this recording I like here. Then I see he has an album under his own name. And who played guitar on that one?

That's something I really miss by downloading music on iTunes. no credits. no breadcrumbs leading to other great artists.

I heard that payola story on NPR, too. bastards want it both ways. they're whining about tabs and garage bands playing cover tunes in bars and their copyrights. then they bribe the radio stations in flagrant violation of the law.

Archived