PROJECT: Zakk Wylde Rebel

mrguitartech

• Members

...so will you come to my defense when I get hassled about painting a guitar with a swastika, because I like how it means "peace and tranquility" to hindu's and NOT how it stands for to death and torture of millions of Jews?

Would you? That war was over 50years ago...:poke:

Yes, if you paint a swastika on your guitar I will come to your defense, as long as it's tilted the correct way.

And where in Bella Vista do you work? The gas station, the movie theater, or the grocery store?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think you have done a great job on the project, I love doing stuff like that. I really like his Buzzsaw design, back before Gibson/Epiphone released the sig. series, so I bought an Agile LP and got a little creative. You might appreciate this considering your current project.

Day I bought it:

Original_800.jpg

Painting:

buzz1.jpg

All finished:

Buzzsaw_new.jpg

• Members

This seems to have stimulated some heated discussion! Anyway I appreciate the thanks.

rparchen: that looks awesome, would you mind posting it up on my forum? the link to my website is in my sig. I am trying to encourage some new forum members so there is a bit more discussion over there :D

• Members

I think it would be a better idea to pay attention to the fascist state America has become, more than a war that happened 142 years ago. Sometimes a flag is just a flag.

B00004T0N4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

P.S. guitar looks great but will look even better once it's relic'd. Like you, I'm not crazy about the million bottle caps on it, but like how it looked a few years before. That's my favorite Zakk guitar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i think that's awesome!

then again... i'm the guy that had a parking for redneck only, all other will be towed sign, and i own a fullsized confederate flag... heh, it's fun. and yes, i really do have 2 dead cars sitting in my backyard... and alot of carparts... no. i really do. to me it's a symbol of breaking out and doing what i wanna do. play some bad-ass guitar. i'd rock that.

all joking aside. i love that guitar. nice work.

• Members

It looks good man but you are missng a star. rparchen - Your LP looks good too.

Sorry to butt in on your thread man, but everyone else is doin it, so...

The american civil war all started because of taxation with out representation not slavery. There were families in the north that had slaves also. Some of them being former slaves them selves. Slavery was settled after the war. Im glad slavery was abolished. That whole thing was bad. But yeah, it was "fought" like 150 years ago, past tence. Theres stupid racist rednecks everywhere man. Jersey has more than NC. Thats where the Arian Brotherhood HQ is located, now. Stupid pieces of sh*t. Theyre all gay. Ok, I'm done.

Oh wait. what about the perscution of the Irish? nobody cares about our drunk asses! LOL. Ok, now I'm done.

Nice guitar man. Not my cup of tea, but nice none the less.

• Members

True story ...

Before I built my spraybooth and really got into painting and building, I used to use rattlecans (BAD mistake). Anyway ... it was a chilly night when I was finishing up the clearcoat on my rebel, so I grabbed my white hoody and stepped out into my back yard and turned the porch light on. As I stood there in my white hoody with this confederate flag raised in the air, it dawned on me ... all my neighbors are African American. :eek:

(yet another bad mistake)

3-2.jpg

I couldn't help notice the PYOG pages in the background of a few of your pics. I sincerely hope you didn't use Krylon to paint your guitar or you will find that all your hard work will be ruined in approx a year to a year and 1/2, if not sooner.

Krylon is the absolute WORST paint you can use to paint a guitar ... trust me on this one. ;)

• Members

Why don't you like Krylon? What happened to yours'?

The paint is too soft to use on guitars.

It leaves impressions of anything it comes into contact with including the lining in your guitar case, carpet, and even your clothing.

You'll also notice that any hardware it comes into contact with (pickgaurds, pickup rings, etc..) will begin to "sink" into the finish.

It will eventually leaves "spider cracks" all over the guitar and totally ruins the finish ...

BEFORE ...

9.jpg

AFTER ...

DSC06891.jpg

DSC06882.jpg

With the many coats needed to clear stripes and graphics, it also has a horrible effect on your tone.

There's just way too much work involved to be using the wrong paint IMO.

I've been using urethane ever since and have had outstanding results.

The guitar above has been stripped and is now in the process of being repainted.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Ok its been a while but I finally have it pretty much finished. I planned to buy a blow torch to do the burning but ran out of money so it just poured some meths on it and set it on fire! In the future I will probably buy a blowtorch to get more of a burnt effect.

I also learnt a few things about epiphones:

Theres a reason they are cheaper than gibsons......

1. The 'maple cap' is not really a cap at all, its about a 1-2mm thick veneer, questionable whether it is maple at all. This started to come unstuck from the guitar when it was on fire.

2. The neck joint is not as tight as I would like, altho it is solid due to glue. This could impact sustain

3. It's not a gibson :p

Ok here goes:

P1000681%20copy.jpg

P1000682%20copy.jpg

P1000686%20copy.jpg

P1000687%20copy.jpg

P1000688%20copy.jpg

Archived