Unexpected gig, change strings or not?

kenm

• Members

Hi All,

I got an unexpected gig tonight. I haven't been playing much, so my strings are pretty crusty. Am I better off changing them an hour or so before the gig or just leaving them as they are?

Thanks!

Ken

• Members

Here's a trick I use. Actually learned it on Frets.com. After you put a new string on, grab it around the 12th fret and pull up gently, release the tension and pull up again. Do this 4-5 times then retune the string. Then stretch the string again, retune, etc. Go through this process about 4-5 times and strings are well stretched and stay in tune.

• Members

Here's a trick I use. Actually learned it on Frets.com. After you put a new string on, grab it around the 12th fret and pull up gently, release the tension and pull up again. Do this 4-5 times then retune the string. Then stretch the string again, retune, etc. Go through this process about 4-5 times and strings are well stretched and stay in tune.

i do this to all my strings. I find, though, that my strings still need to be played in before they are where i want them...

its good that you mention this as i hadn't thought to post it, and it definitely helps tuning stability with new strings.

• Members

You'll find that if you use that technique but pull up on the strings in several places the tuning'll lock in quicker. Pulling in different areas places more stress on more areas of the string while pulling at the 12th alone gets you good stretch there but not farther up and down the line.

• Members
Change 'em, stretch 'em and play 'em. Don't go to a gig with "crusty" strings. Your playing will sound like crap and it will affect your performance to the downside. Also. one will likely break at the worst time.

RT1:thu:

Ditto

I change them every other gig, sometimes a little more often if it was a long gig. I often change them a few hours before.:)

• Members

On my acoustic guitars (1964 Epiphone dreadnaught, 1973 Gallagher G-70), I just don't care for the sound of "brand new" strings....I would never record or play out after changing my strings without playing them for at least 3 hours....this has little to do with their stretching and losing tune; I have no problem keeping a guitar in tune. This is the offensive brassy sound that even Phosphor bronze strings have on these old guitars....I also play an OM-03 Larravee, but actually like the sound of new (John Pearse) strings on it...

Archived