My beloved Epiphone seems to have the action lower than usual.

KATMAN

• Members

I've always taken the guitar to a tech at the local music stores to have them set the action. Does it take a lot of practice to do it yourself? The Takamine is probably not my kind to mess with,but the Epiphone has the truss rod where electrics have them. I never messed with a electric truss rod either,btw. Anyway,I'd like to save a few bucks ($40) and try it ,myself. The guitar is now 10 years old.I do have yearnings for a new git,but that will have to wait for a while.Anyways,how do I do it? Do I leave the strings tuned,or de-tuned? Which way do I go to raise the action? Do I have to wait a few after to let the action settle? Help me guys,and a few gals!

• Members

If you haven't already, check Freeman Keller's "Is My Guitar Sick" sticky thread: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1208287. The truss rod isn't for adjusting the action but for neck relief or curvature. At first glance, your problem sounds humidity-related, so you may not need to adjust anything, just get your guitar properly humidified. If not, and the relief is all right, you'll need to put a shim under the saddle or replace it. If the relief is the culprit, adjusting the truss rod isn't rocket science, you just need to be careful.

• Members

What Deep End said. The truss rod isn't for adjusting the action per se, but rather for adjusting the relative straightness of the neck; this obviously will affect the action, but it shouldn't be regarded as the primary ingredient. Humidity is a huge factor, and while it can affect neck bow (thus indicating the need for a truss rod adjustment), it can also affect other things like bellying or collapsing of the bridge area on the top. Truss rod adjustments aren't hard to do, but you want to first make sure that it's what is needed.

Archived