Healing a sunken top?

brahmz118

• Members

I had loaned out a cheap 3/4 Applause to a colleague of mine, and unfortunately it spent several winter months in a room with major heating malfunctions -- temperatures over 110 degrees F during some periods.

I don't see any cracks, and there are no frets sticking out. However, the top is so concave I could almost eat cereal out of it. Also, the saddle is sticking out for some reason. I can see the metal edge of the pickup, which I could never see before.

I went through Freeman's sticky but I don't think there was anything about fixing a sunken top. Is it permanently concave? It's been in consistent 40% RH for the past three weeks and I don't think anything has improved. Fret buzz is terrible, though the neck appears straight.

Thanks for any ideas.

• Members

I had a mandolin once that went threw severe heat that i bought from fleabay about4 years ago - I was so frustrated that i let it sit for about 6 months - it pretty much straightened itself out when it was back in normal humidity ( not perfect but alot better ). Applauses ( to the best of my recollection ) are not exspensive instruments , so id probably not want to put money into it-- let it sit for a while - who knows ? - I think you have some friend .

• Members

My guitar has a concave top also and I'm in the process of re-hydrating. I have one of thoes kyser soundhole humidifers. I keep the sponge moist. It is my only acoustic and I play it everyday. There are no cracks in the top and it has flattened out pretty well from where it was (if you put a straight edge across the waist of the guitar there is a 1/2 - 1 mm gap in the centre). I will be going to miami for a wedding at the end of May for a week and the guitar will be at home with the humidifer in it the whole time. Should I put a sponge in a plastic bag in the soundhole also before I go?

• Members

My guitar has a concave top also and I'm in the process of re-hydrating. I have one of thoes kyser soundhole humidifers. I keep the sponge moist. It is my only acoustic and I play it everyday. There are no cracks in the top and it has flattened out pretty well from where it was (if you put a straight edge across the waist of the guitar there is a 1/2 - 1 mm gap in the centre). I will be going to miami for a wedding at the end of May for a week and the guitar will be at home with the humidifer in it the whole time. Should I put a sponge in a plastic bag in the soundhole also before I go?

Bump

• Members

I had the same problem that I solved with 3 dampits and about two weeks of daily re-wetting the dampits until the proper curvature came back. With mine, I could feel the grain as well as see cereal bowl effect that you describe.

Vern

• Members

Thats a tough call - it might be worth your time to invest in a house humidifier -even thou its spring ( i dont know off hand where you live ) to regulate the humidy and leave it on when you go away , I keep my two humidifiers at 55 percent - when winter rolls around it will be a definite necessity -

• Members

I have a Guild jf30 from the early 90's...when I bought it, it already had a seam crack down the front and crazing cause the guy before me didnt humidify the guitar...Ive had it for about 4 years and this year for the first time I noticed the crack was separating a tiny bit and the tone was all but gone...Ive always humidified with a sponge in a plastic container under the neck heal area and a planet waves in the sound hole...but this year things got extra dry...but I tried the cheapo plastic bag and sponge in the soundhole and with days there is a huge difference...I thank this forum for giving me back my Guild...I was almost gonna sell it...

Thanks to all for the good information on this forum..

Many Blessings to all,

sonrise

• Members

See Bob Taylors excellent "how to" on re-hydration.

That was exactly what I needed to know. My guitars don't have any cracks in them so all I need is a bit of moisture and my guitar will be back to new condition.

Bob re-humidifyed that guitar which was worse off than mine in 12 days. I've been humidifying my guitar for about 2 months now and it only has a slightly concave top. It makes me wonder why it's taking me so long. I think it is because I have been leaving the sponge in my kyser soundhole humidifer as wet as I can without having any drips. It might have been quicker if I rang the sponge right out.

I think I'm gonna buy 1 or 2 dampits to help re-humidify my guitar. I also like how the dampits work, for general use. They keep the sound hole open so that moist air can surround the guitar (inside and out) while it's in it's case. Not like my kyser which only humidifys the inside of the guitar.

Thanks alot for posting that Clif.

Archived