So I'm going on tour, and I need a new Acoustic Amp

Jelly_belly_83

• Members

I'm looking to spend $900 US ($1000 CND) or less on a new acoustic amp. For the most part it will be for personal monitoring, or rather better stage volume because our drummer can never hear me that well. We currently run everything through the PA, and hear ourselves through the monitors...and many sound guys just don't listen to us when we ask for more of one thing, less of another.

Anyways...

On tour, we may be hitting up some smaller venues where I may need my amp to be the primary means of amplification for my guitar. So I need some decent volume to be able to compete with a drummer (he plays moderately in loudness, after all we are an acoustic band).

Oh and here are two amps that I've considered:

AER Compact 60 - I like it because it's compact and great sound, but worried 60 watts might not make it when there's a drummer in the mix. Also it's more than I want to spend.

SWR California Blonde II - It's not out yet, but I tried the Strawberry Blonde and really enjoyed it's warm tone, and it fits my budget. I felt the Strawberry would not be loud enough at all, even though it's rated higher than the AER in wattage. I figure if the California has 200 watts, compared to the Strawberry's 80 I would be ok.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• Members

Actually - I'm going to suggest you look at a "personal PA" as well as acoustic amps. I use one (Yamaha StagePAS 300) and find it much more versatile (I play several instruments, so admittedly, this may matter more to me than you). I also prefer the sound compared to most acoustic amps I've heard - it seems more "natural" .. for lack of a better word. The StagePAS can be used as a stage monitor or as a main, depending on your needs and the size of the venue. I've also used it as a personal "passive" mixer by outputting the pre-amped signal to the house board. I like the way it's built as well - very easy and convenient to transport.

Yamaha has just come out with the 500 watt version of the StagePAS and it retails for around CAD$1,000. You can get the 300 for around CAD$550.

Best of Luck !

Cheers !

• Members

I have been pleased with my Blondie amp for 5-6 years now. It's the older one with 100 watts (I think) and looks like a little refrigerator. Plan for a long afternoon of trial and error on your tonal setup and probably feedback issues in the 100-200hz range (phase switch and aural enhancement control helps here). I like it because it sounds good and allows me to compete as rhythm and soloist in a live setting with electric instruments and drums. The reverb is a little cheezy and I don't need it... also buy a TUKI cover not the SWR.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In that price range, I'd recommend either the Fishman Loudbox 100 or the Loudbox Performer. (I think "Performer" is the right name; I think it's got more power and a few features that the 100 doesn't have.)

I don't own one, but I just recommended a Loudbox 100 to an acoustic musician who's just starting to gig.

(I've got a Schertler Unico, which I love, but it's about $300 above your upper limit.)

Good luck; let us know what you opt for!

______

Nath

Archived