Hemp oil for cleaning fret boards? Is this a good idea?

mgcasella

• Members

. . . I do have concerns about using a finishing oil on fretboards rather than a cleaning and moisurizing oil like lemon oil. Of course it may make it more like a finished fretboard as the maple fretboard on a Strat. You have me curious. I may have to experiment on a beater. Did you say this is a one time treatment for the life of the guitar?
:wave:

It does give a slightly "finished" appearance but nothing I found dreadful. I chose Tru-Oil because I couldn't see buying a quart or more of linseed oil given that I don't do woodworking. As I mentioned, I still have plenty left from a 3 ounce bottle. I didn't say it was a once-in-the-life-of-the-guitar thing, just that I've only used it once on each of three guitars. I haven't found it necessary since then but you never know.

BTW, would someone mind explaining the Twinkie thing? I'd kinda like to be able to share the joke. Thanks.

• Members

It does give a slightly "finished" appearance but nothing I found dreadful. I chose Tru-Oil because I couldn't see buying a quart or more of linseed oil given that I don't do woodworking. As I mentioned, I still have plenty left from a 3 ounce bottle. I didn't say it was a once-in-the-life-of-the-guitar thing, just that I've only used it once on each of three guitars. I haven't found it necessary since then but you never know.

BTW, would someone mind explaining the Twinkie thing? I'd kinda like to be able to share the joke. Thanks.

Back in the day twinkies were a common fetish as a food craving for marijuana [hemp] smokers. The "munchies" were the hardest part and twinkies hit the spot.

• Members

smokers. The "munchies" were the hardest part and twinkies hit the spot.

Thanks. "Back in the day," I hung out with a bunch of born-again Christians. One or two were former pot smokers but none of them talked about it much. Personally, I've never smoked tobacco, much less hemp. I guess I was born out of touch and just stayed that way. :(

• Members

Thanks. "Back in the day," I hung out with a bunch of born-again Christians. One or two were former pot smokers but none of them talked about it much. Personally, I've never smoked tobacco, much less hemp. I guess I was born out of touch and just stayed that way.
:(

It's cool. Trust me you and Ellen didn't miss a thing. I put down the hemp in the 70s', quit drinking in the 80s' quit smoking in the 90s'. I spent many years "out of touch" with life wasting away on the RocknRoll party circuit.:thu::wave:

Archived