Martin Custom Adirondack...

• Members

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-Adirondack-Custom-Mahogany-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-wcase?sku=517699

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-Adirondack-Custom-Rosewood-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-wcase?sku=517700

Sorry, I don't know why the links came out so long, but I'm afraid if I change them they won't work...but I was curious if anyone had any experience with these guitars? They must be relatively new but I've just discovered them. Any thoughts?

Edit: links not so long after all :)

• Members

Several of the big music houses have had Martin build specials and they are frequently really great guitars. The specs on both of these looks great and the price is pretty attractive.

Adi was used on all the great prewar Martins and on their really high end present ones (the Authentics). People often complain about its appearance, but never about its sound LOL. I would guess that you aren't going to get the nicest looking wood, but who knows.

The only other thing I ever hear about these limited edition models is that they are a little harder to sell. Everyone knows what a D-18 is but a D-xxxMF will draw some blanks.

Sounds like you are seriously GASsing.

• Members

Sounds like you are seriously GASsing.

:D

It's more out of necessity, my friend, and for once I can actually say that truthfully! See, I'm a long time electric player who recently started an acoustic group. I started playing guitar on acoustic but strayed from it over the years.

I met this individual (our fianc

• Members

Looks like a good price for an Adirondack D. The built in pickup and narrow string spacing would be a deal breaker for me, but it's clearly a good price. On the other hand the D18V is around that price too. Even though it's also faily narrow and sitka, the forward shifted X, etc, make for one great sounding guitar.

• Members

Looks like a good price for an Adirondack D. The built in pickup and narrow string spacing would be a deal breaker for me, but it's clearly a good price. On the other hand the D18V is around that price too. Even though it's also faily narrow and sitka, the forward shifted X, etc, make for one great sounding guitar.

Are you refering to the 1 11/16 as narrow? I guess it would be compared to a 1 3/4...is that the measurement you're used too?

All my guitars are 1 11/16 at the nut or narrower...however since my #1 electric (for the last year) has 1 11/16, I find that I can't play comfortably on anything more narrow than that anymore.

I played a 1 3/4 guitar and thought it was nice, but most of those guitars are out of my price range.

• Members
Yes, the D-18 has definitely sparked my interest...being that its under $2,000, I just wish it came with a pickup.

No, you don't want a factory pickup. Get a K&K pure western Mini, a jack in the strap button button, follow directions and you'll be very happy. When you limit yourself to guits with pickups you loose choices. Besides, for stage work, you may want to use the 15 anyway. Are you sure you want to take a $3.5K guitar in a bar?

• Members

No, you don't want a factory pickup. Get a K&K pure western Mini, a jack in the strap button button, follow directions and you'll be very happy. When you limit yourself to guits with pickups you loose choices. Besides, for stage work, you may want to use the 15 anyway. Are you sure you want to take a $3.5K guitar in a bar?

I don't think I'd spend $3500 on a guitar, but thats just me. In the future if I had the extra money I might buy one, but take it to a bar, probably not.

Edit: the pickup that the particular guitars that I linked to in this thread is actually the one that I was going to purchase to put in my D-15, so I thought it'd be a win win.

• Members

I have an Adi topped Martin - D28 Marquis. There is a difference, but it is subtle. Adi is stiffer, and that translates into more headroom. It also takes longer to open up, so some folks find it a bit closed in a new guitar. I love my Marquis, and I know it's just gonna get better. When I was shopping, I could tell the difference between the marquis and an HD28V (very similar except for the top), but only when played back to back.

None of this makes any difference once you plug in, or at least less difference. ;) If you want a gigging guitar, I would be looking at the Aura series. I haven't played one, but the reports from the trenches are good.

I have thought about putting a K&K in the Marquis, but I can't bring myself to toss the ivory end pin (I don't gig much). I also have another guitar with electonics installed, so I use that one.

• Members

Man, you is good, was just listening to the mp3s on your site

Jim

:wave:

I agree, Eric has a great tone. From what I heard from the Eric Skye website, although I am pretty sure you're using an acoustic guitar, your style and tone make it sound more like a hollow body plugged in to a really nice clean amp. (I mean this as a compliment). What guitar did you use to record this?

• Members

.... What guitar did you use to record this?

:) :)

For my first I used mostly a Taylor 712 (eng/rose... 1 7/8th nut..) and a Kenny Hill classical guitar. I used two mics: an AT4050 and 4033. The second CD added a AKG C414 to the two aformentioned mics, and I used a Taylor 514 for everything.

I have new production deal to do a simalr CD this year, but using a pick to play stuff more on the funky side with double bass and drums. For this project I

• Members

Sounds great! Can't wait to hear the rest of the CD. I love the fact that its SOLO acoustic guitar. Not too many of those around. BTW, I am huge fan of Grant Green, some of what I heard reminds me of him. Do you travel around the country at all?

Archived