Need help Narrowed down to 3 can"t decide

cc999

• Members

All,

I have narrowed it down to 3:

Martin 000CX1E 699.00

Epiphone Masterbuilt DR 500ME 649.00

Guild GAD 30 679.99

Are these all SOLID wood guitars? What in your opinion is the best craftmenship and value for the money. Payed them all and its a toss up.

Is the Martin a solid body???

Thanks

Charlie

• Members

I'd narrow it down to two,The Epiphone and the Guild.Both are solid wood guitars and famillar build,and they're tone is almost the same. The Martin you listed doesn't do it for me.It's not real wood,and it feels funny,at least to me.But this is just my opinion,play what you want to buy over and over until you choose which one is best for you.

• Members

I'd also go with the Epi or Guild though the ones I'm familiar with sound quite different from one another.At any rate I'd suggest buying from Music 123 if you go with the Epi.I got mine from them and they're great to deal with and lower price's than others.

http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-DR-500ME-Masterbuilt---Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-(Closeout)-i153202.music

• Members

You should buy what you like depending on the tone, playability etc. But since i have owned a Martin DC-1E for about two years I would reccomend getting the Martin 000CX1E i.e if you like the way it sounds and plays.

My guitar has both a solid back & top with laminated sides.

If it is between the EPI and the GUILD I would go for the EPI.

• Members

Freeman thanks for the link! That 100 dollars cheaper then Guitar Center!

My link doesn't give any prices because it is not a current model. And since I'm a Martin sort of guy, I would consider saving a little more for their all solid wood OM sized guitar

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=c&g=8&m=000-16GT

At 40 percent off, you are probably looking at somewhere around 850. I'll promise you that if you've always wanted a Martin... (However both the Epi and Guild have big fans on this forum).

• Members

I know you've said you've narrowed it down to 3, but have you tried out any Larrivees? They're great. You could get one for just a little bit more than. Everyone seems to love them on this forum and IMO they're the best bang for the buck guitars among high end guitars.

• Members

I've got the EF500RCCE which comes with the LR Baggs Element.It sounds great plugged/unplugged.It's a very simple unit with no holes in the git.You just loosen a few strings when you need to replace the battery which is located right next to the neck in a pocket.The only control is a small volume "wheel" which just barely extends past the top of the soundhole.FWIW-I like the sound of the Epi EF/AJ in cedar/rosewoodquite a bit more than the Guild GAD 30R I tried.I have a brand new GAD JF30 (spruce/flamed maple jumbo in antique burst) which I'm thinking about selling if your interested.Quality of Guild/Epi's are a tie.

• Members

In this order - Guild, Epi, Martin

:thu:

I've played a GAD-30R quite a few times, and have come close to pulling the trigger on buying it. The only reason I haven't is because I already own a GAD-25.

I like the Epi Masterbuilts, but I think the quality of those GAD's is just something else. I think they honestly outclass a lot of good American guitars.

• Members

I have never heard of a larivee. Is it solid built?

Do you mean is it all solid wood? Yes they all are, everything in their line. North American made, great value.

Many people prefer them to Martins or Taylors. Do your best to find a dealer and check them out, you won't be disappointed.

Archived