Howdy and a big THANKS!

littlemilo

• Members

:wave:

Been lurking around the AGF (as well as the electric forum) for a couple years, finally registered a few months ago. I've made a few posts in the electric forum, but summertime is acoustic time, so I spent the last few hours pickin' out on the porch.

My D-15 custom (spruce/rosewood) survived its first winter, thanks to you guys. My other acoustics were laminates and fairly impervious to humidity. The Martin was bowing a bit by December, when I finally realized you guys were serious about humidifiers. Lesson learned.

While playing tonight, the D-15 seemed to be a bit tough to fret on some barre chords. A quick check of the relief showed a bit more than I liked. I've also read here several times that Martins come with fairly high action at the saddle, partially due to bluegrass preferences. So a quick 1/8 turn of the truss rod, plus filing off about 1/16" from the bottom of the saddle, and it was playin' like butta'! I had been hesitant to touch it, but I finally decided to take a few baby steps on a set up and see how I like it. Reading about how "Freeman and the Boys" (and Ellen) deal with acoustic guitars has taught me a lot. THANKS!

FYI, I'm not new to guitar or guitar set-ups. The Gibson in my avatar was my first guitar, still have it after 35 years. I have also built a Warmoth Tele and do set ups on Fender electrics all the time (I charge friends and family a 12-pack- I throw in the strings:thu: ). It was just scary to start messing with my Martin, an anniversary gift from my wife.

Again, a big THANKS!

• Members

Welcome to the forum. :thu: I've learned a thing or two from Freeman about humidity, too. Like you, I had owned guitars for years, but mine had been in pretty neutral climates. I've been able to give my instruments much better care since reading some stuff FK provided.

• Members

What's up Milo?

The summer sun, the Goodyear blimp and the Metrodome roof. Thanks for asking!

Actually, Milo is my Dad's name (hence the moniker) but has been a nickname for me in years past. My real name is Jeff. Sorry I didn't mention you in my post , Trina, I just remembered Ellen from every Masterbuilt thread ever started.

Thanks to all for the welcome.:)

• Members

The summer sun, the Goodyear blimp and the Metrodome roof. Thanks for asking!

Actually, Milo is my Dad's name (hence the moniker) but has been a nickname for me in years past. My real name is Jeff.
Sorry I didn't mention you in my post , Trina,
I just remembered Ellen from every Masterbuilt thread ever started.

Thanks to all for the welcome.
:)

:lol: A guy with a sense of humor. I walked right into that one didn't I? Oh, no problem .......... see around littlemilo/Jeff.

Archived