Added a PorchBoard to the gear.

daklander

• Members

First live gig using the PorchBoard last night. Pretty cool, IMO. Nice thump through the the 12" loudspeakers. For that little joint I won't need a sub or bass amp though for larger venues it would be an asset, being able to use frequencies lower than the 80 or so Hz my loudspeakers are supposed to be able to handle. I did dial down the high and mid but left the bass flat on that channel's eq and it sounded fine.

There is a bit of a learning curve, adding that third thing into the process, but it came along alright. I can say, it was different live than when I did what little practicing I did.

I found I'm more consistent with my left foot for a solid rhythm and it's not too bad to do multiples.

Anyone else using one?

• Members

I keep thinking about getting one. Seen and heard 'em at the guitar show and get GAS. Did you run through an acoustic amp or PA?

Which model do you have, daklander?

I have the UCL unit with the long foot board. It's the one made from composite material and is now aptly named because that composite board is used for building porches. From the website it looks like the unit comes with a short board as well but since I got this from a friend there was only the long board. That works great for me because I do most of my gigs sitting down and use both feet.

I ran direct to the PA via the XLR connection rather than using the instrument jack. It is plenty "hot" and won't need a pre-amp.

The only thing I don't like is the stock carry bag. They do sell a padded, zippered bag though I'll be getting something else, and I may even have a hard case that will work for it.

I'm thinking I'll take a basic recording setup to the next gig or two and record them.

This is about the only gig I haven't recorded so far, mostly because I'm usually pressed for time getting set up by the time I get to the gig due to the fact that I hit it after leaving my regular job and that leaves a very short time to make the trip, load in, set up and get started.

When I do get that accomplished I'll post a tune or two.

By the way, 3/4 time seems to be the hardest to accomplish smoothly, at least for me.

Archived