Acoustic Pickups

cwatson

• Members

Hey, I jus got a Seymour Duncan woody XL pickup for my acoustic. I have installed it as said in the instruction leaflet, however I can't get a sound out of it, I've adjusted the pole heights to move them closer to the strings and still nothing. Im using EB earthwoods. Do I need to regular electric gutiar strings to get it to work???

• Members

GRRRRR if your right this is a {censored}ing joke. I've waited 2 months for the company to deliver the item. They then gave me a free upgrade from the regular single coil to the all singing all dancing XL and its faulty. Also I am experiencing a rather loud buzz at the amp end which sounds suspect. The thing is if I touch the pick up poles I get a reaction like a little thump so they are working??? I've heard about people having to restring to get the sound. I'll go and buy some slinkys and have a go lol

• Members

If you can here a thump when you touch the poles it means the PU is detecting a signal. Do you get a sound from your 1st or 2nd strings? These are the same on acoustic and electric strings so you should get a good sound from the ones you have - check your amp, also try jiggling the connection lead - might be a loose connection.

• Members

Most Yamaha's are OK and it would certainly be worth forking out a modest amount of cash to electrify it. I wouldn't be put off by the faulty PU - they are usually fine.

If you do go for an electro-acoustic, I would look at a few different models - Takamine's are good guitars but are expensive for what you get. There are several makes that are just as good and 1/2 the price, eg. Crafter, Cort, Faith, etc.

• Members

My recommendation would be for you to get a K&K Pure Western Mini from Shoreline Music. It is a set of 3 condensers which sit under the bridge plate. The K&K is very accurate and warm with none of the quackiness you get from USTs. I love mine and will go with the K&K when I get around to electrifying one of my Yammies. If you have any questions or concerns, the folks at Shoreline are very patient and helpful and given your specific needs may even steer you in a different direction.

Here's a link:

http://www.shorelinemusic.com/

• Members

My recommendation would be for you to get a K&K Pure Western Mini from Shoreline Music. It is a set of 3 condensers which sit under the bridge plate. The K&K is very accurate and warm with none of the quackiness you get from USTs. I love mine and will go with the K&K when I get around to electrifying one of my Yammies. If you have any questions or concerns, the folks at Shoreline are very patient and helpful and given your specific needs may even steer you in a different direction.

Here's a link:

Only problem with that advice is that cwatson is in the UK. But a piezo PU is certainly a good idea. You can get some pretty good ones at a resonable price. The simpler ones have a transducer plate which can be attached under the bridge and a jackplug that replaces the strap button - the most you need to do will be to enlarge the strap button hole to accommodate the jackplug. Ones with inbuilt volume, tone and EQ controls require more surgery so unless you are handy it might be better to let the guitar shop do it. But there are also some models that have external controls in-line on the connection lead so that is a possibility too.

Archived