Yamaha LL6 Dreadnaughts

mayan

• Members

Anybody else own one ?

I just bought one and i think it's one of the best acoustics under $650.00.

Sure....everybody associates Yamahas with " Beginner's Guitars ".

But the " Lotus " series of Yams. are custom handmade guitars with Rosewood and Spruce woods.The LL6 line is the lower-end of the series with laminent sides and back.But the sound is awesome ! Bright highs and booming lows,also with a great "sustain " of bass resonance.:cool:

Plus,it's a gorgous looking guitar,the shape looks very slender,not like a pregnant woman like other fat dreadnaughts.

Also it has a beautiful yellowish tint to the spruce top,sorta' like it's been vintage aged.

Anybody else out there own a Lotus ?

Tell me what you think of yours,or of Yams. in general ? :)

I kinda' think that they are sorta' the " Unsung Heroes " of the guitar world.

In fact,i think some people are a little too proud,[and a little embarrassed ],to admit that they started-out learning on a cheap ole' Yam. ! :rolleyes:

A loyal Yam. owner,

Bob

• Members

It is too much,for a used one, that is .:eek:

I only paid $440.00 ,tax included,out-the-door,for a brand-new one.

It's really not as heavy as other brands,i would say.... it's normal weight.

It has some heft,because it has substance.

I almost bought a very light Tacoma DM9,it was solid Mahogany and spruce top for $679.00.But it sounded very dull and lifeless.That's why i didn't buy the DR14,i didn't trust it because of the poor sounding DM9.

You can get a new LL6 for a little over $420.00 if you shop around.

I went the " Music & Arts Center "store.

They are owned by Guitar Center,but G.C. dosen't have them in stock.

:cool:

• Members

I played one at Ted Herbert's in Manchester not too long ago. Really beautiful guitar with great tone, good balance and loads of sustain. The neck was very comfortable. Visually it was also very attractive - I really like that 3-piece neck. The only thing I didn't like was the thick finish.

Yamaha not only makes great beginner guitars but also makes some excellent guitars at the higher end. If you read the reviews at HC you will find that their early FGs are often compared favorably with Martins (which they shamelessly copied)

• Members

,to admit that they started-out learning on a cheap ole' Yam. !
:rolleyes:

A loyal Yam. owner,

Bob

I have played one in a Session that included Masterbuilts, GAD Guilds, Normans, and Simon & Patricks. It was about 9 months ago.

The LL6 did not take a back seat to any of them and I certainly understood why anyone would buy one. It is a very,very good guitar for the money.

All of those guitars offered huge value and a choice between any of them would be a matter of personal preference.

If I ever tripped over one second hand for a hot price, I would be all over it.

Despite the fact that I already have too many guitars!

• Members

I felt the LL6 was a bit bass light and didn't like the wider neck that much. The FG7x0 series had nicer necks but the tone was too compressed for my tastes. Ended up with an Ibanez AW800 which isn't built with as much attention to detail as the Yamahas but to me sounds better, most likely due to its all solid wood construction.

Archived